Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Sonnet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19220  
Subject: 401k or IRA Date: 8/12/2001 11:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is from the Fool's own retirement planing section:

Generally, normally, usually (truly! madly! deeply!), the best choice for a retirement plan distribution is to transfer that money to an Individual Retirement Account. By doing so, the tax-deferred status of that sum continues and we reduce our current tax burden.

I am a ways from retirement being 44 and work for the U.S. Postal Service(20 years now plus 4 years Military), we have what is called the Thrift Savings Plan, it is a type of 401k savings plan. When we retire we have three choices to withdraw the funds, one is a lump sum (ouch! tax bite!) two is a fixed dollar amount payed over a fixed number of months or three convert it into an annuity based on an IRA life expectancy table. I would be able to retire at age 55 and then be able to take withdrawl from the account without penalty. So why would I want to transfer it to an IRA? If I just leave it in the TSP it would still be tax defered untill I take it out with the added benifit of being able to take it out at age 55 instead of 591/2. It is invested in a S&P 500 index and a Russel 2000 index fund, and if I transfered it to an IRA it would most likely be invested the same so why move to an IRA after I retire?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement