UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75786  
Subject: 401K or Roth IRA? Date: 11/19/2003 6:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband has a 401K with TIAA CREF and his employers contribute 10% of his salary to this. So far, he hasn't made his own contribution since we've been saving up for a house but wonders once he is ready: is it best to contribute to the 401K (add to the amount his work contributes) or to contribute to his own Roth IRA and benefit from both accounts?

Thanks in advance!

Meowmixx
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37900 of 75786
Subject: Re: 401K or Roth IRA? Date: 11/19/2003 7:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My husband has a 401K with TIAA CREF and his employers contribute 10% of his salary to this.

Where does he work? I want some of this!

;-)

cliff

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37903 of 75786
Subject: Re: 401K or Roth IRA? Date: 11/19/2003 10:25 PM
Most would participate in the 401K sufficient to get employers match and then do the Roth. If his employer does not require his contribution for them to contribute, then do the Roth first.

If your budget will allow it, do the Roth first to the max, then the 401K to the pretax limit, and finally the 401K to the after tax limit.

In the long term you would like to do both to the max, especially if you want to retire early.

Best of luck to you.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38028 of 75786
Subject: Re: 401K or Roth IRA? Date: 12/2/2003 12:01 PM
Actually I should clarify that it is not a 401K after all- it's a tax sheltered annuity....

Thanks for the advice!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement