Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an existing 401k with a prior employer. The plan allowed me to contribute amounts exceeding IRS limits for tax deductibility on an after-tax basis. If I want to transfer or rollover the balance in this 401k, how are the pre- and post-tax contributions treated? My understanding is that the pre-tax contributions together with all income earned on total contributions may be rolled over or transferred into my current employer's 401k or into a conduit IRA. However, with respect to the post-tax contributions, they may not be so transferred or rolled over. In this case, is it permissible to deposit them into a post-tax (i.e., non-deductible) IRA? (I assume that withholding is not an issue, as taxes have already been paid on such amounts.) If so, are there concerns I should be aware of in pursuing this matter?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.