Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: abtinnyc Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: 401k R/O or Trf: After-Tax Contributions Date: 4/28/2001 8:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have an existing 401k with a prior employer. The plan allowed me to contribute amounts exceeding IRS limits for tax deductibility on an after-tax basis. If I want to transfer or rollover the balance in this 401k, how are the pre- and post-tax contributions treated? My understanding is that the pre-tax contributions together with all income earned on total contributions may be rolled over or transferred into my current employer's 401k or into a conduit IRA. However, with respect to the post-tax contributions, they may not be so transferred or rolled over. In this case, is it permissible to deposit them into a post-tax (i.e., non-deductible) IRA? (I assume that withholding is not an issue, as taxes have already been paid on such amounts.) If so, are there concerns I should be aware of in pursuing this matter?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50665 of 121585
Subject: Re: 401k R/O or Trf: After-Tax Contributions Date: 4/28/2001 11:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
However, with respect to the post-tax contributions, they may not be so transferred or rolled over. In this case, is it permissible to deposit them into a post-tax (i.e., non-deductible) IRA?

No. You have to take a cash distribution of your post-tax contributions. You pay no tax or penalty since, as you note, you've already been taxed on the income.

See Publications 575 and 590.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: abtinnyc Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50683 of 121585
Subject: Re: 401k R/O or Trf: After-Tax Contributions Date: 4/29/2001 5:13 AM
Recommendations: 0
As indicated, post-tax contributions must be taken as lump-sum distributions. What options are available to me in this respect to allow for continued appreciation/income on a deferred basis? Long-term buy and hold? Insurance annuity product? Other?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement