Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120818  
Subject: 401k roller, basis, and ROTH Date: 1/4/2014 10:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've done a search and come up with pretty much what I expected. This has a twist, but one I don't think is right but thought I'd check here.

I'm rolling over one of Mrs. Goofy's 401k's from a long-ago employer into an already existing IRA at our brokerage. She has roughly $10,000 worth of "basis" (what the form describes as "non-taxable employee contributions).

A person on the retirement info line at the brokerage said I could separate that "basis" from the other and put it into a ROTH if the contributions were made before 1987. (They were.) The intent, obviously, is to separate the non-taxable at withdrawal from the taxable, not merely to roll over some of the taxable into a ROTH, which I could do anyway at any time. The remainder (not the $10,000 would go into her existing IRA.)

I have not heard of this before (particularly the pre-1987 thing), and am wondering if anyone here has, or is the person on the phone confused (or worse.)

Thanks.

Sidenote: even though we specifically asked that the 401k be transferred directly to the brokerage, the check was sent to us (made out to the broker FBO Mrs. Goofy), but it's been only a week, so no worries there. But why didn't they just do as we asked? The people on the retirement line say it happens all the time. Weird.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement