No. of Recommendations: 0
Can I do a direct transfer from my 401k to my husband's 401k if I leave my job or do I have to open an IRA of my own?
Print the post Back To Top
I don't know about 401(k)s, but IRAs are very definitely INDIVIDUAL retirement accounts and can't be transferred between people, except in the event of death they go to the named beneficiaries (who may have tax problems as a result).
Can I do a direct transfer from my 401k to my husband's 401k if I leave my job or do I have to open an IRA of my own? </>

I doubt it, but even if one could, I wouldn't. Why restrict yourself to those investments offered by a single 401K plan when, in an IRA, you can invest virtually anywhere? In an IRA, you also have the option of converting to a Roth IRA. I believe that 401K money *may* be safer from creditors should you file bankruptcy.

Is there a particular reason why you'd want the money in his 401K plan?
Greetings, laurenwiley, and welcome. You asked:

Can I do a direct transfer from my 401k to my husband's 401k if I leave my job or do I have to open an IRA of my own?

No, you cannot. That's your 401k money, not your husband's. Therefore, it may only be transferred to a your account in a new employer's plan (assuming that plan will accept rollovers from old employers' plans)or to your own traditional IRA.

Regards..Pixy
Advertisement