Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: davemn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: 401(k) rollover Date: 7/27/2001 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is it possible to roll an active 401(k) balance to a self directed IRA without leaving my employer?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 127 of 294
Subject: Re: 401(k) rollover Date: 7/27/2001 3:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Nobody is monitoring the "Retirement" board any more -- please post your question on the "Retirement Investing" board.

Author: MDGrabhorn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128 of 294
Subject: Re: 401(k) rollover Date: 7/29/2001 10:20 PM
It is possible to move a 401(k) without having to quit. But, you must meet certain criteria. First, you must be at least 59 1/2. IF not, forget everything else I write.

Second, if the Plan allows for in-service distributions, and you are 59 1/2 you may be able to move the funds.

Check your Summary Plan Description to see if this is an option.

Good luck to you.

MDGrabhorn, CFP

Author: cazelski One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 144 of 294
Subject: Re: 401(k) rollover Date: 8/2/2002 1:27 PM
"Is it possible to roll an active 401(k) balance to a self directed IRA without leaving my employer?"

Yes it is but it you can't rollover the whole thing as I found out recently as I am below 59 years old. It is quite convoluted. Call your plan sponsor to get the two documents you are required to read before they will let you do it.

It's not termed a rollover but a withdrawal and there are several different types of withdrawals. I made a non-hardship w/o suspension withdrawal to get some money into my traditional IRA. There are several categories your 401(k) money will fall into and you must make withdrawals from the categories successively. You also cannot withdraw any money which has been in the plan for less than two years.

Like I said, read the documents. It's very convoluted. I was disappointed to find that I could only withdraw significantly less than the total amount in my 401(k) plan without penalty.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement