UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billwaters Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76078  
Subject: 401k to IRA Conversion Date: 4/25/2000 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently have both before and after tax dollars invested in my employers 401k plan. If I were to retire or leave the company could I roll the before tax money into a traditional IRA and the after tax money into a Roth or must I take the after tax money in cash?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21513 of 76078
Subject: Re: 401k to IRA Conversion Date: 4/25/2000 9:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Billwaters, and welcome. You asked:

<<I currently have both before and after tax dollars invested in my employers 401k plan. If I were to retire or leave the company could I roll the before tax money into a traditional IRA and the after tax money into a Roth or must I take the after tax money in cash?>>

Your after-tax contributions cannot be transferred to an IRA. You must take them. However, you can always take up to $2K of that amount and (assuming you have the earned income and meet the AGI limits for doing so)deposit that $2K as your annual contribution to a Roth for that year.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement