No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Fooldom:

I am leaving my job shortly for another and would like to rollover my 401(k) into a self directed IRA. I have selected a discount broker and plan to employ Foolish investing practices, but I'm not sure how to complete the rollover. It seems to me that the money should be directly sent to the broker to avoid any penalties, but how can I make that happen without an account set up yet? I will not have a 401(k) with the new job, but rather a profit sharing program that offers a percentage of my annual income, 15% for the last 25 years.

Secondly, it was suggested to me to later convert that transferred money to a Roth IRA. Is that something that should be considered? Thanks in advance for your input, as always it is greatly appreciated.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.