UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TJScanlon Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75376  
Subject: 401k to Roth??? Date: 6/13/2000 12:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have several questions I can't seem to get a handle on. Looking for some help. First I will give the details. I have a traditional IRA with about $7k in it and I have a 401k from a previous employer with about $12k. In addition I have a 401k with my current employer. I am 35 and married filed jointly with AGI of approx $90k joint, will likely go over $100k in 2001, possibly in 2000 depending on commission. OK, now that I have that off my chest....

I want to roll the my old employers 401k into a Roth IRA (I think this may be best but am open to counter viewpoints). I understand that it must first go into a traditional or conduit IRA.

Can I use my existing IRA or does that create problems with the money already in there?

What will be the tax implications of transfering the 12k from older 401k into a Roth IRA? ie. approx how much will I need to pay?

What happens if I convert it to a Roth and our AGI goes over $100k in 2000? (from what I understood, the AGI to open a Roth was under $100k?)

Thanks for reading and offering your opinions to a fool who is trying.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement