Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rickademus Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120812  
Subject: 401K to Roth IRA? Date: 1/2/1999 7:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've got a question I haven't seen answered on this board before, so I'm looking for some help. I've just changed jobs and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the money I accumulated in my previous company's 401K program--about $20,000. My new employer offers a 401K program, but unlike my old company, which matched every dollar I contributed with 25 cents, there is no matching. In addition, my new employer's 401K program is set up so that I'm forced to buy what this particular brokerage firm calls Class B fund shares. These shares are subject to a sales charge of 5% if I redeem the shares within six years of purchase. Actually the sales charge is scaled down each year so that shares redeemed before one year get hit with a 5% charge, before two years 4%, and so on. In short, my new employer's 401K program doesn't seem that attractive to me. Plus, it's important for me to point out that I'm not planning on staying with this new employer for more than two years. In light of all this, my question is, would I be better off taking the $20,000 I have in my old 401K and rolling it into a Roth IRA, which means I'd have to ante up $4,000 in taxes next year. Or, should I go ahead and roll this 20 grand into my new employer's 401K and get hit for hefty sales charges when I move my money again? I'd really appreciate some guidance on this matter. Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement