Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Below, a poster asked about limits for a 401(k) rollovers/transfers into a self directed IRA or a company like Vanguard. I wanted to ask for a clearing up on this issue.

1) If at the end of employment you decide you want to either rollover or transfer your entire 401(k) (let's say you contributed a max. of 10,000 (agi limits accounted for) and also had earnings), you can do the whole amount, not just the IRA maximum of 2,000 for contributions?
Given the piss-ass poor mutual funds offered by most companies, wouldn't it be "Foolish" to always, at the end of employment, rollover/transfer into say a Vanguard Index Fund or better yet, a self directed "Foolish Four" account managed by me?

3) If I transfered my 401(k) into an Index fund it could stay there tax deffered until I start collecting at permissable retirement age?

4) If I opted to manage my account, say a "Foolish Four" with an online Broker, how would the selling and buying of equities at years end be treated? If I never received gains as a check but were just reinvested in more shares or different equities would it continue to gather tax deffered?

Thanks You very much. I'm amazed at the quality of help, unselfishenss and professionalism on this site. It's amazing what people can accomplish together.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement