UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dr0max Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: 401k vs 403b Date: 2/19/2004 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What are the major/important differences between 401k and 403b plans? (i know that 403b is for non-profit organizations but are there any other differences?)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39295 of 75381
Subject: Re: 401k vs 403b Date: 2/19/2004 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
drOmax...

What are the major/important differences between 401k and 403b plans? (i know that 403b is for non-profit organizations but are there any other differences?)

It appears that the main difference is what you are allowed to invest in. The following Q/A from Investopedia.com contains more details:

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/196.asp

Bill

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39296 of 75381
Subject: Re: 401k vs 403b Date: 2/19/2004 4:34 PM
For those who are interested, there is quite abit of retirement planning and information on Morningstar's "Retirement Center":

http://www.morningstar.com/Cover/Retirement.html?pfsection=Centers7

Bill

Author: dougdoogle Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39300 of 75381
Subject: Re: 401k vs 403b Date: 2/19/2004 7:11 PM
>>>What are the major/important differences between 401k and 403b plans? (i know that 403b is for non-profit organizations but are there any other differences?)<<<

The short, not completely accurate but good enough for index fund investing people, answer is...not much.

Doug

Author: rookieJoe Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39304 of 75381
Subject: Re: 401k vs 403b Date: 2/19/2004 11:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
>>What are the major/important differences between 401k and 403b plans? (i know that 403b is for non-profit organizations but are there any other differences?)<<

>>>The short, not completely accurate but good enough for index fund investing people, answer is...not much.<<<

And if the President's proposal in the 05 budget goes through, the completely accurate answer will be: Nothing. In addition to the LSAs and RSAs proposed, their is a proposal to turn all employee sponsered plans into "Employer Retirement Savings Accounts", or ERSAs (based of the 401k, but supposedly less restrive). From the press release:
"...The proposal would consolidate 401(k), SIMPLE 401(k), 403(b), and 457 employer-based defined contribution accounts into a single type of plan more easily established by any employer..."

The entire press release covering LSAs, RSAs, ERSAs and IDAs is located here: http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/js1131.htm

-Joe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement