UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jcarey52 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76394  
Subject: 401K vs. Roth IRA Date: 12/5/2001 8:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I am trying to decide whether to invest in my company's 401K or a Roth IRA. My company matches half of the first 6% that I invest in the 401K so it is a given that 6% of my income will go into my 401K. My quandry is where to invest money over and above the 6%. With the Roth IRA I get no up-front tax break but get no taxes on distributions at the end. With my 401K I will get the up from tax break (like a traditional IRA) but distributions at the end will be taxed as ordinary
income. I am 45 and will start taking distributions at 60. Running this through a formula tells me that the Roth IRA will actually provide my with more distributions when all is said and done. However, I have a concern that at some time in the next 15 years that the federal government will find a way to tax Roth IRA's thereby removing the advantage of the accounts? What do you think I should do?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement