Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
One of the ways to get around paying a lot of taxes on 401(k) withdrawals, is to take a lump sum distribution in company stock. This will allow you to pay capital gains taxes when you sell the stock rather than income taxes. My question is: can you get the capital gains rate immediately if your stock had been in the 401(k) for a year or do you have to wait a year after you take the stock to a taxable account?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.