Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen, currently living and working in the U.S. I am looking to start investing for retirement, but have some questions about the tax implications of retiring in another country. Specifically, if I begin investing in a US IRA, but end up retiring in Canada, will I be taxed by both the U.S. and Canadian governments when I withdraw funds? How would I go about finding the answer to this question?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.