Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: missust Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: 403 b catch up provision Date: 2/1/2000 8:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Pros for 403b:
-Greater potential current tax deferral than IRA.
-No AGI limits.
From a previous post -

You can borrow from your contributed money at a favorable interest rate for various needs (maximum $50,000.)
-Ability to Rollover to an IRA upon separation from employment.
-Potential employer match (maybe not in your case)
-Catch up provision often allowed after employment for 15 years which allows MORE than the usual $10,000.

My question........
I have worked at a hospital for 25 years and have contibuted to a 403b plan for about 10 of those years.
For the past 2 years I have maxed out my 403b contributions and am happy to be saving on my taxes by doing this. Now, I am considering increasing my contribution to take advantage of the "catch-up" provision. I can increase my contribution to $13,000/year. Another catch is that I am hoping that this strategy will help when my two college kids apply for Federal Aid. Any suggestions?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement