No. of Recommendations: 0
I have had a 403b plan since the late 70's. At the time I opened this account, and for several years afterward, there was no 10% penalty on a premature distribution. One of the tax reform acts of the 80's changed this special status and imposed the same penalty on 403b plans as had been in place for IRA's for many years. I recently heard that the balances in 403b plans previous to the effective date of the tax reform act were still exempt from this penalty. Is this true?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, RBAJBUS, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I have had a 403b plan since the late 70's. At the time I opened this account, and for several years afterward, there was no 10% penalty on a premature distribution. One of the tax reform acts of the 80's changed this special status and imposed the same penalty on 403b plans as had been in place for IRA's for many years. I recently heard that the balances in 403b plans previous to the effective date of the tax reform act were still exempt from this penalty. Is this true? >>

It's my understanding that premature distributions of any elective contributions made prior to 1/1/89 and pursuant to a salary reduction agreement that are taken from an annuity contract purchased under USC 403b(1) before age 59 1/2 are exempt from the 10% early withdrawal penalty. Contributions made under USC 403b(7) are not exempt. You should talk to your plan administrator to see if you have any monies in your plan that fall under this exception.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post Back To Top
Advertisement