UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dweiss3 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76082  
Subject: 403B Fees Date: 12/4/1998 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks to those who answered my earlier post. I wanted to pass along what I learned about my wife's 403B retirement plan.

Her school system designates Tax Sheltered Annuity (TSA) providers that are authorized to receive payments into 403B accounts. Initially these were all insurance companies offering annuities but three years ago they added an option to invest in mutual funds. However, you had to work thru Lincoln Investment Co. who charged a 5% fee up front. Thus $10,000 withheld from my wife's salary each year resulted in only $9500 being invested in the Vanguard funds we selected. Other than one of their salesman filling out the initial paperwork for my wife, Lincoln Investments did nothing visible to earn that $500 per year. I finally called the school board to determine if there was any way to avoid that heavy up-front charge. It turns out that they have also designated T.Rowe Price as one of their authorized providers. TRP accepts the TSA contributions with no fees, and no account maintenance charges. We are filling out the paperwork today to terminate the contributions thru Lincoln Investments and begin them through T.Rowe Price. The Price funds are low cost, like Vanguard, and they have a wide choice of fund types (index, growth, small cap, etc.) This is like getting an instant 5% boost in investment return. I'm only sorry I didn't find this out sooner.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement