UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: aleskip Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/17/2008 6:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How does one choose a new 403b provider? My wife is a teacher and has happily had her 403b account with Fidelity for several years. As of 11/08, fidelity will no longer be on the approved list (due to non-compliance with new IRS regs). There is a list of 34 providers few of which I've heard of. Many are insurance companies and others appear to be "full-service" investment companies. No discount brokerages (Vanguard, Schwab etc) appear on the list.

Thanks for your input.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63862 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/17/2008 7:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Is TIAA-Cref on the list ? T. Rowe Price ?

rad

Author: aleskip Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63864 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/17/2008 10:12 PM
Neither.

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63869 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/18/2008 8:44 AM
Can you list the providers?

Author: aleskip Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63872 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/18/2008 5:20 PM
Yes, thank you.

AIG Retirement (VALIC)
Americo Financial Life Annuity Company
American Fidelity Assurance Company
Ameriprise Financial Inc.
Annuity Investors Life Insurance Company
AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company
CalSTRS
Conseco Annuity Assurance Co/Conseco Ins Co
First Investirs Corporation
Great American Life Insurance Company (GALIC)
GWN Securities, Inc
Horace Mann Companies
Industrial-Allince Pacific Life Inurance Company
ING Life Insurance and Annuity Company
ING - Reliastar Life Insurance Company
Legend Group, Inc., The
Life Insurance Company of the Southwest
Lincoln Investment Planning, Inc
Metropolitan Life Insurance Co
Midland National
National Health Insurance Company
Nationwide Trust (FBC Deferred Compensation Program)
North American Company for Life and Health (NACOLAH)
Oppenheimer Funds Distributor, Inc.
PFS Investments Inc. (Primerica Shareholder Services)
PlanMember Securities Corp/PlanMember Services Corp
Security Benefit Group
Symetra Life Insurance Company
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
Thrivent Investment Management Inc.
United Teacher Associates Insurance Company
Veritrust fiancial, L.L.C.
Waddell & Reed, Inc.
Washington National Insurance Company

end.

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63881 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/19/2008 8:52 AM
I would be frankly shocked if all of those companies are there next year.

There is quite a shake-up going on with 403bs.

You could always ask the administration to have Vanguard, American Funds, or some other company come in as a provider.

None of those really jump out at me. You might try Thrivent Financial. The key is to ask for a 403b7 (mutual fund program) and avoid the 403b1 (annuity program).

The vast majority on that list will be annuities. Even AXA (which used to provide both) sold away their mutual fund accounts last year.

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63882 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/19/2008 11:46 AM
I advise clients to max out their Roth IRA first unless there is a match from the employer.

With 403b plans usually there ain't one.

buzman

Author: W401K Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63899 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/20/2008 2:52 PM
OppenheimerFunds jumps out as one of the few pure mutual fund companies on the list, all others appear to be Insurance, and thus, annuity related. Check and see if Oppenheimer is being offered without the upfront or back end loads. If not, then Class A Shares would be the best bet for the long term even with the upfront charge. Over time this will be less expensive than the other share classes and less expensive than the annuities. Unless they add some names, and if you dont go with the funding the IRA option first, that may be the best option.

Author: foolazis Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63918 of 76421
Subject: Re: 403b how to choose provider? Date: 9/22/2008 12:26 AM
Wow, your employer is not doing you any favors!

foolazis

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement