UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Thessa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: 403(b) plans/401(k) employer contributions Date: 10/26/2000 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First point--would appreciate a link or information on a good grass roots explanation of a 403(b). I understand it's similar to a 401(k), but the governmentese of my plan description is murky at best. Somewhat typical of the engineering school I work for, I'm afraid

Second point--Does an employer's contribution to a 401(k) count toward the employee's total contribution? My husband has a 401(k) he contributes to, and would like to increase his contribution to the maximum. If there's a link that answers this, then terrific. I'll quit bothering people.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25746 of 76237
Subject: Re: 403(b) plans/401(k) employer contributions Date: 10/26/2000 11:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Thessa, and welcome. You wrote:

<<First point--would appreciate a link or information on a good grass roots explanation of a 403(b). I understand it's similar to a 401(k), but the governmentese of my plan description is murky at best. Somewhat typical of the engineering school I work for, I'm afraid

Second point--Does an employer's contribution to a 401(k) count toward the employee's total contribution? My husband has a 401(k) he contributes to, and would like to increase his contribution to the maximum. If there's a link that answers this, then terrific. I'll quit bothering people. >>

You will find an overview of the limits and an explanation of both plans in my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/RetirementPlanPrimer.htm, in the 401k area at http://www.fool.com/money/401k/401k.htm?ref=RTR401k and in the special article on 403b area at http://www.fool.com/specials/2000/sp001016.htm .

Regards..Pixy

Author: peppermintpatty Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25764 of 76237
Subject: Re: 403(b) plans/401(k) employer contributions Date: 10/26/2000 11:31 PM
Thessa -

Go to: www.irs.gov and search for Publication 571. That's a first-hand explanation of all the rules. You can inquire further if you don't understand something there!

You spouse's employer's contributions to his 401k do not count toward his annual contribution limit. I forgot the IRS Pub that covers this... (surf around).

Good luck, PP

Author: memupp Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25781 of 76237
Subject: Re: 403(b) plans/401(k) employer contributions Date: 10/27/2000 1:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
The most comprehensive site I've ever seen is:

www.403bwise.com

Good luck!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement