Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I work for a church that offers a 403(b) plan for it's employees. Amazingly, the church offers something even better than matching. It contributes 10% of one's gross salary into the plan. For instance, if one's salary is $35,000, the church will put $3,500 into your 403(b). Free money! That's a pretty good deal by any standard. We can contribute our own money to the plan, but I am not doing so.

My question is this... I also have a home-based business that is doing very well. Can I put some of that money into an IRA or some other tax deferred program. (Keough? SEP?). I would rather invest in individual stocks than put more money into the 403(b).

My wife does not work outside the home, but she does do the accounting for the home business. Perhaps she could open an IRA or similar plan?

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.