UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75669  
Subject: 403B questions Date: 2/27/2004 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My sister is finally starting to see the light and wants to start making contributions to a 403B at the smallish non-profit where she works. However, she read me the list of providers that mgmt gave her and it was loaded with the likes of Merrill Lynch, Prudential, Paine Webber, VALIC, etc. The only real palatable choice was Fidelity. I have vague recollections that 403Bs are "special" in that you are somehow free to go to another provider, but I don't really know how this works. I'd like to get her set up with TIAA-CREF. Can anyone enlighten me on using an "off the list" provider?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39510 of 75669
Subject: Re: 403B questions Date: 2/27/2004 3:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have vague recollections that 403Bs are "special" in that you are somehow free to go to another provider, but I don't really know how this works. I'd like to get her set up with TIAA-CREF. Can anyone enlighten me on using an "off the list" provider?

www.403bwise.com has some good information on 403(b)'s.

This is the link to their article, "How to Transfer 403(b) Money (a.k.a. 90-24 Transfer)": http://www.403bwise.com/wisemoves/transfer403b_bm.html

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39515 of 75669
Subject: Re: 403B questions Date: 2/27/2004 4:43 PM
If Fido is a choice, I would stay there. I like TIAA-CREF a lot better, but it maybe cumbersome to transfer.

buzman

Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39613 of 75669
Subject: Re: 403B questions Date: 3/2/2004 4:18 PM
However, she read me the list of providers that mgmt gave her and it was loaded with the likes of Merrill Lynch, Prudential, Paine Webber, VALIC, etc. The only real palatable choice was Fidelity

From Fidelity: SPARTAN 500 INDEX

That's where my 403(b) money is.

It's got a 0.40% expense ratio, so it's no Vanguard, but it's not too shabby.

TW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement