UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: drdalt Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: 403b,401K, Roths...aarrgh! Date: 5/31/1999 11:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Fooldom,
I have been lurking out here for some time and only recently delved deeper into "managing my own finances". I am in the process of setting up my first self managed portfolios but suddenly realize that I know little about the tax consequences of my decisions. My questions are the following:

1. I am currently contributing to a 403 b through my employer (A Public school).I am contributing pretax dollars and using this account as a tax shelter. I have been doing this for about 5 years now. I do not have the option of contributing to a self managed index fund through my employer. How is this account different for tax purposes compared to a self managed IRA (say a ROTH)? Can I do both? Is there a limit on the amount I can contribute to the 403B? I know that I can only contribute $2000 per year to a ROTH.

2. My wife is contributing to an employer matched 401k. We have maximized her contributions in order to receive the maximum company match. Once again I am setting up a ROTH for my wife and know that there is a $2000.00 contribution limit. The empoyer 401 K allows the employer to select a pretax or post tax contribution to the account (401K). What is the difference in terms of tax consequences? Are there penalties for contributing too much pre tax?

3. Assuming that I am able to get answers to any of the above questions how about this one.... Since I am currently 35 years old and still have some time on my hands should I roll my 403 b into a Roth? The value of the account is currently 8000 dollars. Will I do better in the long haul managing my own fund?

Thanks in advance for any guidance and tax wisdom you can provide.

drdalt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement