Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: paycktopayck Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25242  
Subject: 403Badvice Date: 2/2/2000 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had a 401K years ago, quit the job I had it through, and went to a place that had its own Credit Union. (Stanford Hospital)...Unfortunately, Stanford employees could only contribute to 403b, not 401k accounts. I was told the funds couldn't be mingled, and the best thing to do was put my 401k rollover funds into a "conduit IRA", which I did. I left that job 3 years ago, and I've been paranoid to touch the money. (Still MORE years ago, I had left a job and cashed out my 401k...OUCH...the tax man loved me, let me tell ya....live and learn).

My question really is, should I be letting the money sit in Stanford Credit Union? Should I roll it over into a Roth or some other type of IRA? If that's the way to go, HOW do I accomplish it?

I've been doing temporary non-benefitted work since leaving Stanford, but now I'm in a "permanent" position again, and will soon be eligible to contribute to this company's 401k plan. I assume that the "Non-Mingling" gate swings both ways....that is, I assume my Stanford 403b/conduit IRA money will NOT be eligible to roll into this new 401k...

So...fools, any advice? Again, the basic question is: Sit on it (be gentle)...or Do Something with it???

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mailman9 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6349 of 25242
Subject: Re: 403Badvice Date: 2/3/2000 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I assume the funds are in an IRA at the credit union. In that case, as long as there are no other IRA (nonrollover funds) in that account you can roll it into a new 401(k). However, you will probably be better off just finding a new IRA provider and leaving the funds in an IRA with fewer restrictions and more investment options.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement