UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Stoffel67 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: 457(b) vs 403(b) (long) Date: 2/10/2004 9:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wife and I recently hit our AGI cap and have stopped putting into our Roth IRAs. We already fully fund my 401(k) (generous employer match), so we decided to try to take the money that would have gone into the Roth and invest it in her retirement program. We have not funded her retirement programs at all (no employer match).

She's a school teacher, and she gets the option of both 403(b) and 457(b). Her district has a company that manages both. I called them and said we'd like to start putting into a 403(b) (since I believed it was the non-profit twin of the 401(k)), and the agent there said, "Oh no, you want a 457(b)." "Why?" "Well, you can get all the money out whenever she changes jobs without penalty; with a 403(b) you have to wait until retirement, and you're too young to put money away for that long" (we're 28 & 30)..

Well, this is retirement savings, so I didn't think that mattered. "But otherwise they're exactly the same?" I asked. "Yes."

We had all the paperwork filled out and I had even left the app in the outgoing mail bin at my work when I decided to see what was going on at Fool and read a post about "457 not having the tax advantages of a 403". I snatched the app back (mail hadn't gone out yet) and decided to do some research.

Google for "457 403 comparison" and you will hit at least twenty very similar pages, all from different school districts and all saying that they're basically the same. This is the research I did before filling out the form, and it seemed to me that the agent was being truthful. You'll also notice (at least I did) that if there's any bias, they seem biased to 457. It wasn't until I went on "investorwords.com" and started looking up these terms that I found that the 457 is a NON-QUALIFIED retirement plan. Gee, that seems missing from almost all the information I've gotten from the district.

What does non-qualified mean? Very good question. IRS.gov is too coy to say (at least with my feeble searching abilities). From what little I've pieced together, it seems to me that this is the difference:
- qualified plans can be directly rolled over into an IRA
- non-qualified plans must either take a distribution lump-sum or must be rolled into an annuity

Is this correct? I'm very fuzzy on this--information seems very hard to find.

So that's question #1--what's the difference between qualified & non-qualified retirement plans?

Question #2: Was this guy taking me for a ride, and why? I find it very suspicious that he didn't mention that I'd need to roll this into an annuity instead of an IRA of my choosing, especially since the same company sells (you guessed it) annuities. Keep in mind this company is employed by the school district to manage these benefits AND provide financial advice for teachers. Or maybe I'm seeing slime where there isn't any?

Question #3: Should I fund the 403(b) first and then the 457(b)? Recent tax law changes allow us to do both (that's 3*$13k total tax-deferred savings per year). Is a 403(b) always preferable to a 457(b) assuming the same investment options?

Thanks all for your time, sorry this is so long-winded.

-Stoffel67
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement