UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AliFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20971  
Subject: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & See? Date: 11/10/2004 2:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DH has some business in Boston in December and I'm going with him after all. We most likely will stay in a chain hotel since the company is paying for 3 of the 4 nights. However, what we do with the time we're not working is up to us.

I've never even been to Boston, and I have very little idea about the must-see things to do and places to go. Same goes with restaurants, although DH does have a few he likes.

Suggestions for all of the above are welcome!

--AF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5198 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/10/2004 3:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Best store ever: Filenes Basement. Awesome stuff at great prices. You can get there by the T, (MBTA, or Mass Transit.)

Faneuil Hall is also fun. Lots of great museums. Good local music.

Dress very warm and bring a leather coat if you have one. The wind can be brutal. I used to work in Boston and was litterally blown right off the sidewalks in winter. Don't forget a hat and gloves.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's been a while since I've played tourist without kids tagging along. Pick up a tour book for inspiration, or check out citysearch.com

http://boston.citysearch.com/

IIRC, you can look for all sorts of things based on distance from your hotel.

Have fun!

IP

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5199 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/10/2004 3:02 PM
Before leaving Chicago,we toured Navy Pier;carb-loaded at Luciano's On Rush,& had one of the best meals ever(grilled scallops)at the Hilton,right across from Grant Park.

Author: lswswein Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5201 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/10/2004 4:56 PM
http://www.boston.com/travel/boston/

have fun & ask if you have questions

if you think too many links there, start here:

http://www.boston.com/travel/boston/fodors/boston_sights_overview/

-h

Author: Atrio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5202 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/10/2004 5:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
I like doing drinks at the Top of the Hub (in the prudential mall), the best time to go is about 30 mins before sunset so you get to see the city during the day and night. Its pricey but worth it IMHO.
There is also a new Krispy Kreme shop in the mall, the best doughnuts I've ever tasted, freshly made. I dont know if these are unique to Boston or not.

Cheap Lunch in quincy market, it can take you about an hour to choose what you want there is so much there.

Take a walk around Boston common and go ice skating on the frog pond. It is has snowed it looks beautiful.

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5211 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/12/2004 1:23 PM
Greetings, AliFool, have you posted on Folly in Massachusetts? I loved (window-)shopping on Newberry Street, lined with brownstones and boutiques, but a local or a more-frequent visitor would have to tell you if it is still worth your while (if you like to do this sort of thing). If it is not too bitter cold and you like to go into the heart of where there may be more upscale coffee shops and nice little bistros, perhaps this is still where they can be found. It certainly was 10 and 20 years ago. Have fun!

xraymd

Author: missy508 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5212 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/12/2004 3:20 PM
Hi Alifool :

There is so much to do and see in the city! You'll have a great time.
I would have dinner one night in the North end; there are many great Restaurants there. After dinner you could walk over to Fanueil Hall for a cocktail or coffee and dessert. An alternative would be to go to the Improv Asylum while in the north End.

How about a “Tour of Fenway Park” (not sure if they offer it during the winter) if either of you are Baseball fans. You can see where our hometown curse breakers play.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ballpark/bos_ballpark_history.jsp

Have a great time!

Missy

Author: Atrio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5213 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/12/2004 8:47 PM
I would have dinner one night in the North end; there are many great Restaurants there. After dinner you could walk over to Fanueil Hall for a cocktail or coffee and dessert. An alternative would be to go to the Improv Asylum while in the north End.

A great idea.
The Italian food in the North End is the best I've ever tasted (I've not been to Italy). Its pricey for italian but you really do get what you pay for. Get dessert at Mike's Pastry shop on the main street in the North end (cant remember the name) its famous for gorgeous cakes and pastries.

Take a stroll along the Charles river, the cambridge side, between Mass Ave bridge and the bridge that the T runs over, you get great views of the city.

A harbour tour is very good but its probably going to be toooooooo cold for that (we had our first snow today!!!!!)

I'm not overly impressed with the Harvard Square area but lots of people like it. There are lots of shops and its interesting to see the university.

Author: mshelly Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5234 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/15/2004 6:28 PM
Stephanie's on Newbury for dinner.Great place and Newbury street is awesome.

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5239 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/16/2004 9:45 AM
Recommendations: 1
If you like Italian food, definately visit the North End, either day or night. And don't pass up the pastery shops!! Also, if you go to the Fanuel Hall area, visit the Oyster House, the oldest restaurent in the country.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5249 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/19/2004 7:27 PM
Here are my top picks:
* Boston Public Gardens is beautiful- check out the 'Make Way for Ducklings' bronze ducks and the swan boats.
* Bertucci's - they make the best pizza and rolls...
* Newbury Street for shopping (I could spend hours here from J.P. Licks ice cream to Tower Records)
* Museum of Fine Arts- good collection of impressionist paintings
* Beacon Hill for their brownstones, quaint streets and gas lamps.

Enjoy!!

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5250 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/19/2004 7:54 PM
I wonder if they're giving tours of the leaks in the Big Dig.

--fleg

Author: Atrio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5251 of 20971
Subject: Re: 5 Days in Boston - Favorite Things to Do & S Date: 11/20/2004 8:50 AM
I wonder if they're giving tours of the leaks in the Big Dig.

You're probably best trying Duck Tours!

;-)

A

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement