Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Gas hits $5 a gallon in Redwood City, Bay Area, CA.

http://www.burbed.com/2008/06/10/gas-hits-5-a-gallon-in-redw...

What's next $10 per gallon milk?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3

If environmentalists do to cows what they've done to oil wells, then, yes, you can expect $10/gal milk.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 21
<<What's next $10 per gallon milk?

If environmentalists do to cows what they've done to oil wells, then, yes, you can expect $10/gal milk.

--fleg
>>

It was only a year or so ago that my liberal relatives were complaining about how cheap food was, and how cheap food was contributing to obesity and such.

I guess this is another area of life where liberals can rejoice in scarcity and high prices. These are examples of why I oppose liberals, environmentalists and Obama. In the end, they are profoundly against the interests and welfare of human beings, while proclaiming just the opposite of course.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 4
"What's next $10 per gallon milk? "

No..$10 popcorn at the movie theatre, due to all the corn being diverted to ethanol....corn at record high prices....and crops being flooded out.....

t.
"What's next $10 per gallon milk? "

No..$10 popcorn at the movie theatre, due to all the corn being diverted to ethanol.

Isn't popcorn at the movies already $10??? It seems that way every time I buy some.
No..$10 popcorn at the movie theatre, due to all the corn being diverted to ethanol.

=======
Isn't popcorn at the movies already $10??? It seems that way every time I buy some.

maybe you're buying the giant giganourmous size?

only $5 for the small around here.

=
.... and ,around here, very close to redwood City, highest gas i saw was 4.4x for regular ... wish the link had been more specific

http://www.gasbuddy.com/Gas_Prices/California/index.aspx

more like it (4.35--4.49)

thanks

looking more at the pix, i think i may know that station --small mom-n-pop service station: their gas is always Very High ..as if they don't really want to sell any.

=
maybe you're buying the giant giganourmous size?

I buy the small size popcorn so I don't become more giganourmous than I already am;))
<<"What's next $10 per gallon milk? "

>>

Just more evidence that tele's predictions can come true before they are even made......

Such perspicacity hasn't been seen since the time of Carnack the Magnificent.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 2
Forget the popcorn - movie tickets just jumped in price around here. "Bargain matinees" are now $8.50, "regular" price is $10.50. We treated 2 of our kids, their spouses, and three of the grandkids to Indiana Jones the other day. Oy! When we were younger, we'd drop the kids off at grandma's and head for the one dollar theater. Heck, when we were kids, we'd go to Saturday matinees for 25¢.

Now, when a movie comes out that I think I want to see, I usually just add it to my Netflix list, and see it when it's released to CD's a year or so later.

As for movie snacks, I always just bring a Tootsie Pop or two. First I eat the lollypop, then I gnaw on the stick till it unravels. When I leave the theater, I'm covered with white stick fragments.

Trini
As for movie snacks, I always just bring a Tootsie Pop or two. First I eat the lollypop, then I gnaw on the stick till it unravels. When I leave the theater, I'm covered with white stick fragments.

Trini

-------------------------

I always wondered why people have to eat in movie theaters.
Why can't they just sit there quietly and watch the film?

I know movies have a very different etiquette from symphonies or operas or plays....

But when I'm in an opera - or symphony - or play....WOE BE UNTO THE PERSON WHO IS EATING AND RATTLING PAPERS AND, ESPECIALLY, TALKING. It's so extremely disrespectful to the performers - not to mention the other patrons who have spent big bucks for tickets.

I was once at the symphony where Kathleen Battle was singing -- and a woman in a row in front of me was eating peanuts out of a celophane bag. I swear, if I had had a gun, I would have shot her on the spot. (Well...not really... but I definitely wanted to.)

At least eating a tootsie pop would be fairly silent - once you get it unwrapped. And movies DO have a different etiquette...as I said.

But the question, for me, still remains: Why not eat before you go to the theatre? Or afterwards? Can't Americans go for a whole two hours without eating? ;o)

AM
....p.s. this is not a personal attack on Trini - or anything even close to one. :)
And movies DO have a different etiquette...as I said.

Exactly.

Last movie we went to (Narnia) we were going out for dinner after to celebrate my daughter's BD. We only had water in the movie. The movie was 2 hrs 20 minutes. We all survived just fine, even with no intermission.

But part of the fun for movies is popcorn. Unfortunately, a trip to the movies with family including children and or GC has become a major expense.

~Birgit
But part of the fun for movies is popcorn. Unfortunately, a trip to the movies with family including children and or GC has become a major expense.

~Birgit

---------------------

Yes...and it kind of makes you wonder why.
After all, a family CAN opt for watching a film at home by renting a DVD from Netflix. So you would think the theaters would give them some competition by lowering the cost of their tickets. It isn't like they are producing anything... and empty seats don't put money in the till. Cheaper tickets could, at least in theory, put more people in seats and more money in the till - for the same effort as showing to only a few.

Ah well...
Soon, no one will be able to afford to go anywhere or even buy groceries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/dining/11garden.html?th&em...

We will all be working our tushes off just to put food on the table.

AM
....at least my RV would be a good guest room - if anyone could afford to get here to use it. :)

yes. somehow there's the tradition that part of the fun is popcorn and milk duds and other candies you see nowhere else.

maybe goes back to the days when tickets were a quarter and you had fifty cents to spend with your friends.

=b
..... loves movie Hot Dogs.
No. of Recommendations: 89
It was only a year or so ago that my liberal relatives were complaining about how cheap food was, and how cheap food was contributing to obesity and such.

Cheap junk food. Call me when broccoli and milk are cheaper than chips and Coke. But you knew that...

These are examples of why I oppose liberals, environmentalists and Obama. In the end, they are profoundly against the interests and welfare of human beings, while proclaiming just the opposite of course.

This is an example of why I oppose neo-con conservatives and other right-wing nutjobs. They always rephrase an argument in the stupidest possible terms, and lie through their teeth about what it's supposed to mean. In the end, they are profoundly against the interests and welfare of human beings, and profoundly *for* the interests and welfare of corporations. If they weren't, they wouldn't have to lie so much.
No. of Recommendations: 9
<<It was only a year or so ago that my liberal relatives were complaining about how cheap food was, and how cheap food was contributing to obesity and such.

Cheap junk food. Call me when broccoli and milk are cheaper than chips and Coke. But you knew that...

These are examples of why I oppose liberals, environmentalists and Obama. In the end, they are profoundly against the interests and welfare of human beings, while proclaiming just the opposite of course.

This is an example of why I oppose neo-con conservatives and other right-wing nutjobs. They always rephrase an argument in the stupidest possible terms, and lie through their teeth about what it's supposed to mean. In the end, they are profoundly against the interests and welfare of human beings, and profoundly *for* the interests and welfare of corporations. If they weren't, they wouldn't have to lie so much.
>>

Unfortunately, my liberal and environmentalist friends increasingly want to regulate and control what people are allowed to eat and do with their lives. That web of control gets ever more comprehensive as the years roll on.

Liberal wars against MacDonald's hamburgers and in favor of their preferred organic foods are both pointless stupid and profoundly patronizing, in my view. Just leave people alone.

I understand that you don't get this concept, but it's at the root of the misconceptions in your comments above.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 29
Unfortunately, my liberal and environmentalist friends increasingly want to regulate and control what people are allowed to eat and do with their lives. That web of control gets ever more comprehensive as the years roll on.

Liberal wars against MacDonald's hamburgers and in favor of their preferred organic foods are both pointless stupid and profoundly patronizing, in my view. Just leave people alone.

I understand that you don't get this concept, but it's at the root of the misconceptions in your comments above.

My misconceptions? Whenever you have to twist an argument into a lie, your credibility is, shall we say, "suspect". Wow, 8 years of Bush, and you still haven't learned that.

As for "regulating what people eat", this is total BS. Eat at McD's, I don't care. But I do think that economies of scale combined with ill-place corporate pork have set up a situation where crap is waaaay cheaper than healthy food.

The first thing to do would be to remove industry subsidies that contribute to the imbalance...and it may be that nothing further needs to be done.
Forget the popcorn - movie tickets just jumped in price around here. "Bargain matinees" are now $8.50, "regular" price is $10.50. We treated 2 of our kids, their spouses, and three of the grandkids to Indiana Jones the other day. Oy! When we were younger, we'd drop the kids off at grandma's and head for the one dollar theater. Heck, when we were kids, we'd go to Saturday matinees for 25¢.

Now, when a movie comes out that I think I want to see, I usually just add it to my Netflix list, and see it when it's released to CD's a year or so later.

Trini

Last time I went to a movie theater – and I had to think about it – was more than ten years ago. For me the worse place to see a movie is in a movie theater. I have a home theater system that’s far better than any of the local fleapits.

I buy previously viewed DVD’s (about $10-18), make my own popcorn, and curl up on the couch with Elly and whichever cat that has a mind to. So we watch a movie (pausing to pee at our choosing) and that’s about a $20 dollar evening.

Of course, the economics are somewhat skewed because the home theater system across the years cost about $35,000 and no way can I balance out that yet I have a 60-in. HDTV and 11.2 sound.

I justify it by saying I buy cheaper movies and don’t pay high snack costs but, in fact, I don’t like movie theaters. Not to go into a song and dance about it but most movie theaters are poor at both picture and sound reproduction. Add in bad seats making one’s tail ache and I’d rather be at home, thank you.

MichaelR

Well, why would anyone retire there?

So I'll drink less milk and more red wine. Probably healthier, too.
No. of Recommendations: 1

Well, why would anyone retire there?

great variety of Mexican restaurants

a couple decent delis

and a good Japanese place

=
I justify it by saying I buy cheaper movies and don’t pay high snack costs but, in fact, I don’t like movie theaters. Not to go into a song and dance about it but most movie theaters are poor at both picture and sound reproduction. Add in bad seats making one’s tail ache and I’d rather be at home, thank you.

MichaelR

----------------------------

Heh.
You forgot the part about kids jumping up and down and stepping on your feet, and lovers with their heads together so you can't see anything, and people with little babies that are crying at the top of their lungs, and people talking, and other people intent on telling their companion the entire plot of the film loud enough that their aunt in Walla Walla can hear them, and sticky gunk on the floor that your shoes stick to, and the tubercular person behind you coughing his/her lungs out, and the person next to you eating and drinking..munch, munch, munch...and the sound so loud you need to put cotton in your ears, and teenagers bouncing off the walls and yelling to each other across the theatre...and several idiots' cell phones ringing....

Other than that, movie theaters are great places to see a film. :)

AM
No. of Recommendations: 6
Seattle Pioneer

-----

Funny.

Demanding to know what kind of junk is in fast food (disclosure), and wanting to stop gov't subsidies going to BIGBIDNESS (tax dollars - YOURS too) is considered 'Liberal wars'.

Do you even listen to yourself?

ten
No. of Recommendations: 3
AM:"You forgot the part about kids jumping up and down and stepping on your feet, and lovers with their heads together so you can't see anything, and people with little babies that are crying at the top of their lungs, and people talking, and other people intent on telling their companion the entire plot of the film loud enough that their aunt in Walla Walla can hear them, and sticky gunk on the floor that your shoes stick to, and the tubercular person behind you coughing his/her lungs out, and the person next to you eating and drinking..munch, munch, munch...and the sound so loud you need to put cotton in your ears, and teenagers bouncing off the walls and yelling to each other across the theatre...and several idiots' cell phones ringing....

Other than that, movie theaters are great places to see a film. :)"

Didn't you forget the ear splitting volume, that would be loud enough if the theatre was 30 times as large? Designed to insure you can't think, and that everything vibrates with the 10,000 explosions that seem to be mandatory in every film these days, with at least 30 bodies flying through the air, and flames shooting everywhere burning up half the set by the time the film is done?

I can endure that at the cheapie movie theatre. $1 before six, $1.50 in the evenings. Half of that on Tuesdays. It might take six or 8 months for new movie to show up, but most do.

t.
Didn't you forget the ear splitting volume, that would be loud enough if the theatre was 30 times as large? Designed to insure you can't think, and that everything vibrates with the 10,000 explosions that seem to be mandatory in every film these days, with at least 30 bodies flying through the air, and flames shooting everywhere burning up half the set by the time the film is done?

t.

It’s called ‘dynamic range’ and most movie theaters have an extremely poor range of soft to loud. Additionally, most movies theaters boost bass response so there is oomph to action movies. Because of that, dialogue is badly reproduced – especially in quiet (or should be quiet) scenes.

It’s partially because of speaker positioning and amplifiers used. The speakers are not fidelity speakers and amps are just raw power that pumps into these speakers at a constrained frequency: hence, ‘limited dynamic range’. The result is muddy sound (even the big bangs are badly reproduced).

Better are smaller theaters THX-certified. More on that at www.bigscreen.com/about/help.php?id=8 Problem with THX is that it’s expensive to install and maintain. And that’s why some don’t have it and don’t have the slightest idea of what good sound should be.

And they add insult to injury by pricing a soft drink to that of a good wine and put something on popcorn described as ‘butter-like substance colored butter-like yellow guaranteed to stay liquid to below average room temperature’. Frankly, I think it’s 10w-30 dyed.

MichaelR
And they add insult to injury by pricing a soft drink to that of a good wine

well.... it's a strange business model. very little profit from tickets, most ticket money goes to studio (i used to know the numbers)

the massive mark-up on drinks and popcorn is all theater profit

and put something on popcorn described as ‘butter-like substance colored butter-like yellow guaranteed to stay liquid to below average room temperature’. Frankly, I think it’s 10w-30 dyed.

sounds right ...dyed with something that could cause cancer in carpet (why many movie theatres no long carpeted)

what seems ODD to me -- go to the Safeway around here and one of the popular choices for microwave popcorn is "theater butter flavored"

=
great variety of Mexican restaurants

a couple decent delis

You made me hungry. Fortunately, there's a good Italian close by, and a fabulous one a bit further out.

You made me hungry. Fortunately, there's a good Italian close by, and a fabulous one a bit further out.

heh.

made myownself hungry ...also went out for Italian

=b
.... forgot to mention, great Donut place

heh.

made myownself hungry ...also went out for Italian

=b
.... forgot to mention, great Donut place

New pizza place just opened a block away. Need to go try it. Heard it's good.

But donuts is evil fat pills.

cliff
But donuts is evil fat pills.

of course they're Evil...

lib'rul fud ...invented by Indians in Berkeley.

=b
Well then you should try "soy" milk.

Soy milk : cow milk as

Carob : chocolate

Are the radical liberals responsible for carob as a chocolate substitute? I hate it.
I was once at the symphony where Kathleen Battle was singing -- and a woman in a row in front of me was eating peanuts out of a celophane bag. I swear, if I had had a gun, I would have shot her on the spot. (Well...not really... but I definitely wanted to.)

Well next time bring your own snax to the opera.

You shouldn't expect strangers to share theirs with you.
Last time I went to a movie theater – and I had to think about it – was more than ten years ago. For me the worse place to see a movie is in a movie theater. I have a home theater system that’s far better than any of the local fleapits.

I buy previously viewed DVD’s (about $10-18), make my own popcorn, and curl up on the couch with Elly and whichever cat that has a mind to. So we watch a movie (pausing to pee at our choosing) and that’s about a $20 dollar evening.

Of course, the economics are somewhat skewed because the home theater system across the years cost about $35,000 and no way can I balance out that yet I have a 60-in. HDTV and 11.2 sound.

MichaelR

Can I come to your house?

MichaelR

Can I come to your house?

PieInYourFace

Drop over wherever. Just follow the house rules: first beer served by host, second and subsequent you get yourself; the owners of the house, the cats, have precedence to all seating; if you bring any movie that has ‘a message’, it will be replaced by any of Zucker, Zucker and Abrams movie or series (preferably Police Squad in Color); and all small change ending up in the couch is mine.

MichaelR
Advertisement