UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5806  
Subject: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 9:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Okay, here's a good one for all of you chained to your desks in the middle of the week on a beautiful summers day:

My GF discovered she has an additional five weeks vacation due her! She works at the local medical center, and during a performance review in conjunction with a promotion it was discovered that when she transferred to her current job from a position with a healthcare company affiliated with the center, the time she worked at the previous job wasn't credited towards calculating her benefits.

As a result, she has 200 extra hours of vacation coming, in addition to her normal three weeks for this year. The company has a limit on accumulated vacation time, and a "use it or lose it" policy in that they will not buy back the time. She's thinking of taking every Friday off from now through next Spring.

What would you do with a "bonus" five weeks vacation time?

SB (never worried about "vacation" time)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2287 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
She's thinking of taking every Friday off from now through next Spring.
What a great thing to happen.

The last time I was in a use it or lose it situation, I took Wednesday's off for several weeks.

It was the slowest day in our department, so it was less of a problem for my co-workers to cover for me.

It was great to work two days, have a day off, come back to work two more days and have a weekend.

I was able to run errands and shop (at the end of the year for Christmas gifts) without the usual weekend crowds.

At the time, we weren't planning any weekend trips. I'd just come back from five straight weeks out of the office (one week vacation, one week convention and three weeks training school) so didn't want to go anywhere.

Rose

Author: michaelangela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2289 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 11:42 AM
Recommendations: 23

Why Fridays? Fridays are relatively good days to be at the office. Everyone's in a good mood, looking forward to the weekend, and a bunch of other people are out (so fewer incoming emails, etc).

Me? I would take Mondays off. Mondays in the office blow. Nobody wants to be there, and you're reminded frequently that you're a long way from the next weekend.

Plus, I don't know about you, but I always get this feeling of dread sometime mid- to late-Sunday afternoon, when it dawns on me that my weekend is almost over and I've got to go to the office in the morning. Imagine the deliciousness of being able to think, "Ha-HAH! No I don't either! I've got a whole other day to do what I want! I think maybe I'll take a nap!"

MA
;-)

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2290 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 3
Plus, I don't know about you, but I always get this feeling of dread sometime mid- to late-Sunday afternoon, when it dawns on me that my weekend is almost over and I've got to go to the office in the morning.

I think I read it here on the Fool a while back -- IIRC, there a Japanese show that aired 7 pm Sunday nights in Japan, and the theme song of the show would cause Japanese men to get depressed because it indicated the end of the weekend.

Funny how you got that feeling of dread Sunday afternoon. When I was at my old job, I'd wake up Sunday mornings angry and depressed for that same reason. Talk about ruining a whole day!

CK

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2291 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 1:07 PM
RE: ma: "I always get this feeling of dread sometime mid- to late-Sunday afternoon" & CK: "I'd wake up Sunday mornings angry and depressed"

I'm always at my creative best on Sunday night. It's hardly that I'm overly optimistic. Maybe I'm just happy to have made it through another week?

I've always suspected that I was about 179 degrees off-sync with the rest of this Board's Posters, but perhaps it's worse than I thought?

SB (besides, I'm out of platitudes)

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2292 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 1:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
Ah, you're not out of sync. You're just where many of us would like to be!

Besides, I no longer get depressed on Sundays (benefit #435 of my new job). These days, Sundays are usually spend with my parents, my SO, or both and usually involves something fun. Last Sunday, it was letterboxing with my parents at a nature park. This Sunday, I think I'm going to make some bread and orange/lemon marmalade.

Ahhhhh.....

CK

Author: HoneyRyder Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2293 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 5:16 PM
Recommendations: 4

I stopped getting the Sunday PM blahs at exactly the same time that my net worth reached the point where I could afford not to work........

for at least several years anyway, lol

As I continue to get closer to the FIRE stage, surely I'll become even more ecstatic and of no use to any employer, LOL

HR

Author: Hyperborea Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2294 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 7:06 PM

I wouldn't dribble it away one day at a time. I think that I would take a nice long trip somewhere and forget completely about work. The last really big one that I took was 2 years ago when I went to Hong Kong/China and travelled about by train. It was incredible and I really did forget about work and just immersed myself as much as possible into the culture. It was incredible. It wasn't until I got on the last train trip of the journey from Xian (terracotta soldiers) to Beijing that I started to get the vacation equivalent of the Sunday afternoon dreads.

If I had the 5 weeks I think it would a tough toss up between trains through eastern Europe and a trip starting in Thailand through Malaysia to Singapore by train.

When I was a kid and I got money for gifts it was the same thing. A lot of kids would blow it on small crap that they could have used their allowance or odd job money for - chocolate bars, comic books, etc. I didn't do that cause you didn't get a lump sum so often. I bought bigger things that were harder to save up for - a typewriter, a guitar, computer bits (back when you had to assemble them yourself).

Hyperborea

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2299 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 10:28 PM
When I had a chance to work a 4 day week, I took Wednesdays off. DH took Fridays off, so he had his very own day, and so did I. As you might guess, we are both introverts. We still had the whole weekend together + week nights. I chose Wednesday because anyone with a compressed week takes Friday off, so the traffic is almost as bad as the weekend. Wednesdays were wonderful because no one else took them off. I still do most of my appointments on Wednesdays. If you work, it's Hump day, but for me, it's the day I can really take off.

arrete

Author: jobobb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2300 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 11:01 PM
IIRC, there a Japanese show that aired 7 pm Sunday nights in Japan, and the theme song of the show would cause Japanese men to get depressed because it indicated the end of the weekend.

LOL, the ticking clock on "60 Minutes" does that for me.

- jobobb ( tick tick tick tick tick tick .....)

Author: parger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2301 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/18/2003 11:10 PM
I just got a lovely surprise at my office -- I've worked at the same place 29 years (ohmigawd, sometimes I can't even believe that). Anywhooo, the previous vacation policy was 4 weeks after 10 years, but that was it no change. They just announced that after 25 years, you get the 5th week, and after 30 years, you get 6 weeks. I never actually take all my vacation, I usually get paid out on a portion of it. But, it's going to be nice to be able to take some more time.

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2303 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/19/2003 7:25 AM
Recommendations: 1
I think I read it here on the Fool a while back -- IIRC, there a Japanese show that aired 7 pm Sunday nights in Japan, and the theme song of the show would cause Japanese men to get depressed because it indicated the end of the weekend.

I used to have Tuesdays and Wednesdays jammed with meetings--usually they even overlapped. Most people were on one "team," where I got to be on three. Since most people didn't have to worry about overlapping team meetings or customer conference calls, they were often on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So, Mondays were what I looked forward to so I could get stuff done prior to being swamped with action-item-generating meetings with no time to work them for two days.

Plus, Mondays are easier to swallow after a three day weekend. Well, in one respect they are. In another respect, the longer you're gone, the harder it is to go back.

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2306 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/19/2003 10:09 AM
LOL, the ticking clock on "60 Minutes" does that for me.

- jobobb ( tick tick tick tick tick tick .....)

Darn, you beat me to it! It was also referenced on a Seinfeld episode by Elaine.

I agree, take off Mondays! I used to work a compressed schedule where I worked 9 hour days and had every other weekend as a 3-dayer. I started out taking Fridays but quickly realized I was working Monday and taking off "casual Friday" so I switched. Fewer days wearing a "noose" the better. Also, getting chores done is easier on Mondays since many take off early on Fridays so there are more people out.

As to extra time, I work for the gov't and after a year, they pay comptime. I just got my first "aged" comptime payment this week and will get about 30 hours next week. I'd rather have the money anyway since I hardly can use up my regular leave before I hit "use or lose." At least I get paid and am looking forward to applying the extra $ next pay period to my truck. It will bring me closer to FIRE (my ultimate goal).

On a more MOOTFL note, and in the spirit of extra time, I am thinking that when I get a little closer to FI (two years), I may try to get my position turned into a part-time billet working 30 hours a week if I can keep benefits. -I'll probably get shot down but it will be fun to ask.

FoolNBlue (Who ideally would work Sat and Sun only)

Author: jtmitch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2312 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/19/2003 2:16 PM
MA writes: <i< I don't know about you, but I always get this feeling of dread sometime mid- to late-Sunday afternoon, when it dawns on me that my weekend is almost over and I've got to go to the office in the morning. Imagine the deliciousness of being able to think, "Ha-HAH! No I don't either! I've got a whole other day to do what I want! I think maybe I'll take a nap!"

Since I have left the full-time work force, not dealing with the feeling of impending gloom as you describe above has been one of the greatest joys. (Another is not waking up about 4:00 AM on Monday morning with my mind racing about all the things that await me at the office.)

jtmitch

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2317 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/19/2003 6:06 PM
Chocokitty writes:
Last Sunday, it was letterboxing with my parents at a nature park.

Chocokitty, if you're ever letterboxing in the Pacific NW, and happen to come upon a stamp with a hummingbird on it, it's probably mine! I've found 3 letterboxes so far, and am scouting out the next one for the next time I have a few hours to myself. I've also found that carving your personal stamp is as much fun as the hunt itself, and not really that difficult!! A great, fun, <cheap> hobby!

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2320 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/20/2003 10:55 AM
Kewl! My BF has some property out in Oregon and saw clues for letterboxes near it, so next time we're out there I'll definitely keep an eye out. If you see a stamp of a heart with the Chinese symbol for "peace" in it, that's mine. :)

You're right about the stamp carving. I redid my signature stamp, and the second one looks SO much better than the first. I had so much fun that I'm ready to start making and hiding boxes of my own just as an excuse to carve more stamps (plus, it would be a great chance to see how creative I can get with locations, clues, etc.).

Addictive hobby, isn't it?

CK

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2321 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/20/2003 1:30 PM

Backpack through Europe. Having that much available time will not happen for her again for a while. I'd go big.

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2322 of 5806
Subject: Re: 5 wks Extra Vacation Date: 6/21/2003 12:12 AM
<>Me? I would take Mondays off. Mondays in the office blow.

Wednesdays would also be a good day. Breaks up the week and gets you over that middle of the week hump.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement