Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: richlocus Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19027  
Subject: 5 Year Roth Requirement Date: 1/15/2000 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear Investors:
I read that you are required to have a Roth for 5 years to take money out without taxes when you are 59 1/2. If I invest in a different fund each year for 5 years, will only the first fund count towards the 5 year limitation?

For example, Year 1 I invest in Seligman.
Year 2, I choose Putnam.
Year 3, I choose First American. Etc. Etc.
Each year, I have funds invested in Roth, but in entirely different organizations. Will all 5 contributions be considered in the same "pool" to qualify for the 5 year waiting period, or will I have to wait 5 years on each company? For example, at the end of 5 years, only the Seligman was actually there for 5 years. Does this force me to invest in the same company for five years? If all 5 investments were in Seligman, then all 10,000 should be eligible instead of only 2000.

Rich Locus
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1592 of 19027
Subject: Re: 5 Year Roth Requirement Date: 1/16/2000 9:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Rich, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I read that you are required to have a Roth for 5 years to take money out without taxes when you are 59 1/2. If I invest in a different fund each year for 5 years, will only the first fund count towards the 5 year limitation?>>

You are confusing the container with its contents. Your Roth IRA merely holds the investment, and the investment can be virtually anything you wish. You may change the investment as often as you want, but that doesn't change the IRA. As long as that IRA has been open for five tax-years, you may begin tax-free withdrawals at age 59 1/2 regardless of what the money is invested in at that time or for how long that particular investment has existed inside that IRA.

Regards..Pixy

Author: mattpam Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1825 of 19027
Subject: Re: 5 Year Roth Requirement Date: 1/30/2000 3:10 PM
Hi Pixy! Just to clarify further, suppose I continue
adding to my Roth over a five year period and then wish to take it all out taxfree, is that possible? Or can I take out only the contribution for the first of the five years?

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1831 of 19027
Subject: Re: 5 Year Roth Requirement Date: 1/30/2000 5:09 PM
Greetings, Mattpam, and welcome. You asked:

<<Hi Pixy! Just to clarify further, suppose I continue
adding to my Roth over a five year period and then wish to take it all out taxfree, is that possible? Or can I take out only the contribution for the first of the five years?>>

You may take your annual contributions at any time without regard to the 5-year rule and without a tax impact. You may not touch the earnings and get them tax-free until you are age 59 1/2 AND the account has been open for five tax-years unless you meet one of the exceptions for a qualified withdrawal. See our IRA area at http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm for details.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement