Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121568  
Subject: 59 and a half Date: 7/31/2012 12:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can you define exactly what this means in terms of the 10% early withdrawal penalty for IRAs?

I know what it means in English, but in tax speak (written by well regarded members of congress) it can have all kinds of slightly different meanings. I know that one is no longer penalized once they reach that number. But before making any moves, it is important to make sure there are no misunderstandings on what should normally be a really easy concept.

So lets start simply. A person turns 59 on say April 10. That would mean that they turn 59 1/2 six months later on October 10. In order to avoid the 10% penalty, what exact date could the earliest IRA withdrawal occur on?

Is it:

October 10 (the day one turns 59 1/2)
October 11 (the first full day after one turns 59 1/2)
November 1 (the first of the month after one turns 59 1/2)
January 1 (the first day of the first quarter after one turns 59 1/2)
Some other date that I am not even thinking of as a possibility.

I am hoping that the answer is indeed simple and not subject to wide interpretations. Thank you in advance.

B
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116476 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 7/31/2012 7:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Earliest possible withdrawal under the 59 1/2 year rule is october 10, your 69 1/2 year birthday.

If you were born on Feb 29, your 69 1/2 year birthday would be Sep. 1.

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116477 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 7/31/2012 7:55 PM
<Earliest possible withdrawal under the 59 1/2 year rule is october 10, your 69 1/2 year birthday.>

So you are saying one has to wait ten more years after 59 1/2 to avoid the 10% penalty. That does not sound right to me.

B

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116478 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 7/31/2012 9:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
So you are saying one has to wait ten more years after 59 1/2 to avoid the 10% penalty.

I suspect fat fingers. It's 59 1/2.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116481 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 8/1/2012 12:35 AM
I'm sorry if I haven't asked my question clearly enough.

I know the general rule is supposed to be 59 1/2. What I am looking to find out is the exact date that the penalty no longer applies. Is it the day one reaches 59 1/2, the day after, the first of the month after that date or some other arbitrary date?

I am looking for the date that would make me 100% positive that a withdrawal made around age 59 1/2 will not trigger a 10% additional tax penalty. I am still in the planning stage, but want to nail down this detail so I don't make a costly mistake based on an incorrect assumption on my part.

B

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116482 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 8/1/2012 1:58 AM
What I am looking to find out is the exact date that the penalty no longer applies.

That was answered in the first response, but you got distracted by the typo.

In real-life application I'd wait until the next day, but that's just me.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116483 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 8/1/2012 2:03 AM
What I am looking to find out is the exact date that the penalty no longer applies. Is it the day one reaches 59 1/2, the day after, the first of the month after that date or some other arbitrary date?

I read it as the day you reach 59 1/2.

"Generally, if you are under age 59½, you must pay a 10% additional tax ..."
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p590/ch01.html

I am still in the planning stage, but want to nail down this detail

Well, if I were in the planning stage, I'd probably be looking at how to avoid withdrawing until I had to. Do you really want to withdraw at age 59.5? (There are circumstances where that is necessary - but if it's so you can take the family on a cruise in the Bahamas this winter, maybe you should re-evaluate)

Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116484 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 8/1/2012 2:44 AM
Fat fingers it is.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 116485 of 121568
Subject: Re: 59 and a half Date: 8/1/2012 10:30 AM
Well, if I were in the planning stage, I'd probably be looking at how to avoid withdrawing until I had to.

You wouldn't evaluate for the time to pay the least in taxes ? It may not be starting at 70.5.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement