Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sky1948 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55991  
Subject: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/23/2008 12:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm about to try a recipe for Low Fat Carrot Cake. It calls for 6 egg whites. I don't buy whole eggs; I only buy Egg Beaters. If the recipe called for 6 whole eggs rather than just the whites, I'd know how much Egg Beater to use. I don't want to use too much. Can you help me out, please?

I was looking for a recipe that uses both pineapple and applesauce. I'll post the recipe below in case you are curious.

INGREDIENTS
6 egg whites
1 1/3 cups white sugar
3/4 cup cup applesauce
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9X13 inch pan with non-fat cooking spray.
In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites. Slowly beat in sugar, then applesauce, oil, skim milk, and vanilla. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and flour. Stir in, one ingredient at a time, pineapple (with juice), carrots, walnuts, and raisins. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes in the preheated oven. It is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Thank you,
Sue
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HGBG Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48584 of 55991
Subject: Re: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/23/2008 6:14 AM
Recommendations: 2
I found the following answer at Yahoo Answers:

2 Tablespoons of eggbeaters = 1 egg white

20 tablespoons = 1 and 1/4 cups.
(20 tablespoons divided by 4
(4 tablespoons in a 1/4 cup] equals five 1/4 cups = 1 1/4 cups)

Barry

Author: sky1948 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48587 of 55991
Subject: Re: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/23/2008 9:43 PM
Barry, "I found the following answer at Yahoo Answers:

2 Tablespoons of eggbeaters = 1 egg white"

Thanks, Barry.
So if 1 egg white = 2 TBSP of egg beaters;
then 6 egg whites = 12 TBSP of egg beaters,
and 12 TBSP = 3/4 cup of egg beaters if there are 4 TBSP in 1/4 cup.

I did a Google search last night, and it wasn't easy. I tried several variations before I found an article that said 2 egg whites = 1 whole egg. I think that fits with what you found. I just tried to recreate my search, but I can't find my previous results.

After reading your post I tried searching at Yahoo Answers, but I got nowhere. How did you do your search? I have never used them but would like to learn.

Sue

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48588 of 55991
Subject: Re: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/24/2008 8:02 AM
"I found the following answer at Yahoo Answers:

2 Tablespoons of eggbeaters = 1 egg white"

I went to wiki.answers.com and put in the question box “volume of egg white” and got 1 large egg white = 2 1/4 tablespoons (See; http://wiki.answers.com/Q/100_g_of_egg_whites_equals_how_man... )
;-)

C.J.V.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48590 of 55991
Subject: Re: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/24/2008 11:57 AM
Turns out the answer is also on eggbeaters.com -- though you have to use your ingenuity to find it.

Click on "Recipies," then click on the "FAQ" in the menu on the left, then click on Question 18.

In my recipes, how do I substitute Egg Beaters for whole eggs?
For recipes, simply use Egg Beaters as follows:
4 whole eggs = 1 cup Egg Beaters
1 whole egg = 1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 egg white = 2 tbsp Egg Beaters

sheila

Author: sky1948 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48593 of 55991
Subject: Re: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/24/2008 6:06 PM
Hi Sheila,

"In my recipes, how do I substitute Egg Beaters for whole eggs?
For recipes, simply use Egg Beaters as follows:
4 whole eggs = 1 cup Egg Beaters
1 whole egg = 1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 egg white = 2 tbsp Egg Beaters"

But I wanted to substitute Egg Beaters for only the egg whites. That was why it was difficult to find the answer. But you guys came through, thanks.

By the way, I liked the cake, and so did the group I served it to. I'm not a fan of cream cheese frosting; so I used powdered sugar. Cool Whip lite would probably be good too.

Sue

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48594 of 55991
Subject: Re: 6 egg whites = what amount of Egg Beaters Date: 5/25/2008 1:16 PM
By the way, I liked the cake,

I was wondering how the cake would come out if you substituted the eggs beaters for egg whites.

Glad that it was good.

I'm not a fan of cream cheese frosting

I am; particularly on carrot cake!

Christna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement