Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: roland465 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: 6 Figures! Date: 3/22/2014 10:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
My retirement accounts have finally crossed over the 6 figure mark. It's a shame I can't share things like that on Facebook.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5054 of 5084
Subject: Re: 6 Figures! Date: 3/23/2014 9:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations!

I agree about sharing, our wealth accumulation is one of our longest goals and greatest accomplishments, yet there are very few people I feel comfortable discussing it with.

Oddly, I was criticized when when I mentioned that sentiment on the millionaires board.

-murray

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5055 of 5084
Subject: Re: 6 Figures! Date: 3/26/2014 7:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
One of my DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan) accounts just went over $100K!

That's a nice, round number.

Of course it might go down again when the next stock purchase is made if the stock price goes down.

But over the decades, most go UP. Quite a bit.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5056 of 5084
Subject: Re: 6 Figures! Date: 4/7/2014 1:31 PM
Recommendations: 4
My retirement accounts have finally crossed over the 6 figure mark. It's a shame I can't share things like that on Facebook.

In 1988 my total net worth was $3K plus a toyota 4WD truck I didn't owe any money on. In mid 1997 it crossed the $100K mark. I still had the 1983 truck too. Pretty cool day that was.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5058 of 5084
Subject: Re: 6 Figures! Date: 4/29/2014 9:12 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<My retirement accounts have finally crossed over the 6 figure mark. It's a shame I can't share things like that on Facebook. >>

I used to work as a blue collar for a gas utility.

People used to haul their new boats, cars and other consumer stuff into the yard to show off the stuff they had bought.

Circa 1987, the company made 401 K plans available to hourly employees.

By 1999, shortly before I left the company, a new status symbol was replacing boats and cars as the things people were showing off and/or boasting about ---- a 401 K balance in excess of $100,000.

I thought that was a MUCH healthier thing for pweople to be boasting about.

In 1987, shortly after 401K plans became available to hourly employees, the manager for my department of blue collars set up small meetings for employees to discuss the new benefit (which included a generous employee match).

I thought he may a good point, so I signed up for the deal, maxing out my contributions under the plan. By 1999, I was one of those with more than $100 K in assets.

Today, the total assets are around $240,000, with no additional contributions to the plan since 1999.

I remain a supporter of 401K plans. There chief limitations are that people don;t sign up for them, don't fund them and drain whatever assets they have out of them with loans and such. But the idea for 401 K plans is excellent, in my view.

I understand some companies abuse employees with poor choices of investment funds and high fees and such. Shame on them! But the idea of such plans is very good, in my view.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5068 of 5084
Subject: Re: 6 Figures! Date: 7/6/2014 11:56 AM
Recommendations: 1
"Oddly, I was criticized when when I mentioned that sentiment on the millionaires board.

-murray "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Criticism is something all the internet does well.
And TMF has enough posters that any comment will trigger upset.

Howie52
Never let a critical comment stop you from expressing an opinion.

There are potentials to learn and potentials to teach that will
never come to pass if you pass up a post.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement