No. of Recommendations: 1
6) Is the Survivor Benefit Plan right for you?

Ryan, could you elaborate on this one? I.e. what are good alternatives and considerations for choosing?

Only about 3 weeks late in responding to this one. Less about alternatives, but more about what factors should be considered when choosing whether or not to enroll in the SBP. This may fall closer to the retirement planning arena in general, but I find that most of my members who start looking at retirement get scared of the idea of not having an income for a spouse at some point and seem to leap at the SBP. Alternatively, some see as too much of a cost and opt to forgo enrollment.

What should drive that decision beyond a members total amount of retirement savings? Future employment plans? Current liabilities? Etc. Take my situation, both my wife & I are AD, each expect to reach retirement. One will likely have 75% and the other 50%. With retirement savings solidified, neither one of us will need to depend on the others retirement for income. So we will most likely forgo the SBP.

Smart decision? Dumb decision? I think it's sound logic, but I could be way off base. Exploring the right questions may lead people to the right answers with regard to the SDP.

-Ryan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement