UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59142  
Subject: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 11:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
6 Reasons Why You Should Never Retire
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/6-reasons-why-never-retire-164...

1. There is no physical reason to retire.
So?

2. Continued work can support healthy aging, including better physical and mental health.
I don't think my desk job does much for my better physical health.

3. Well-being and happiness are boosted when people are engaged in challenging and meaningful activities. Work is a major place to find such activities in our society.
I think I can find challenging and meaningful activities outside of work.

4. Older people have rich experience and mentoring skills to help enrich the workplace experiences of younger colleagues.
So?

5. Declining numbers of younger workers, courtesy of lower fertility rates, will raise the need to retain older employees in the workforce.
So?

6. We need and like the money, and shorter retirements sharply cut the risk we will outlive our assets.
I tend to be conservative in my estimates. I'll have a cushion but once that cushion is funded, I'm not staying for the money.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41198 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
What a bunch of hooey... this sounds it was written by some desperate lib businessman trying to extort the most amount of taxes out of people, never letting them earn less and pay less to the government for the privilege of 'working'.

Death is permanent...and I would rather have many years to do WHAT I WANT, and not what some company wants.

As you get older, you cannot always do the things you wanted to do when you were younger.

Stress is a very good reason to retire. Deadlines, pointy-haired bosses, expected overtime and 60 hour work weeks in a hard to get job market.....

-------

2. Continued work can support healthy aging, including better physical and mental health.

Desk jobs as he noted don't support better aging, but more stress and more problems. Physical health sitting at a desk? ha......Mental health in a high stress environment? ha.....

--------

3. Well-being and happiness are boosted when people are engaged in challenging and meaningful activities. Work is a major place to find such activities in our society.

Make that it is just ONE place to find such activities. THere are thousands of other places for 'challenging and meaningful activities' , especially to oneself!....

-------

4. Older people have rich experience and mentoring skills to help enrich the workplace experiences of younger colleagues.

So what? Did I ever get rewarded at work for 'mentoring' younger workers? NOT.....usually the boss's pet worker was assigned to do work not qualified, then I had to help bail him out, he got all sorts of accolades..and promotions......and I got ignored at promotion time. Been there, done that..... plus of course, I had my own work to do.

yep, in some cases, that is true. In many cases, you are just busy trying to get your work done. And keep your job as the bean counters realize that guy you just trained is making 20% less than you and after you have 'coached' him for a year or two, can do your job, too. When it is layoff time, they want YOU to go, not him.

----------

5. Declining numbers of younger workers, courtesy of lower fertility rates, will raise the need to retain older employees in the workforce.

Not my problem.

------

6. We need and like the money, and shorter retirements sharply cut the risk we will outlive our assets.

Speak for yourself. I'm sure that is why the public sector unions all wrote contracts that allow retirement after 20 years for police and fire fighters, and 30 years for toll takes, sanitation workers, etc, with nearly 100% of pay and health care benefits.....

I need and like money, but not gobs of money ......

And why should I work another ten years, pay another half million in taxes....to make some company a lot of money? For what reason? I would save a bunch of it, then have more money that I could spend in a much shorter expected retirement.

HEck, I worked 31 years. I hope I get to have 31 years in retirement, which will get me to 83.

I had fun times at work. I had boring times at work. It's sure been nice not to be working for the past 13.3 years. I have no intention of 'going back to work' or 'making money as an employee'.....

Only those without enough assets to retire, or without a decent pension and SS....should consider working to a later age. Or those who are work-a-holics with no outside interests.....those folks should stay at work as long as possible., They'll be bored with retirement.

Life isn't about how many days you spent at the office. Very few say on their death bed : "I wish I had spent more time in the office".

t.

I tend to be conservative in my estimates. I'll have a cushion but once that cushion is funded, I'm not staying for the money.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41199 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 12:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
Guilty as charged. That is, I rec'd tele's post despite the jabs at liberal businessmen and union workers, coz the rest was spot-on and I'm feeling kind.

I'm SO glad my husband was forced to switch to teaching and that I was forced to switch to part-time at 52 and decided to fully retire at 55. Else we wouldn't have traveled as much as we did in our 50s. I would find some of those trips difficult now in our 60s. These days the slower pace of RVing works for me.

The author forgot to note the caveats of working...commuting at rush hour, not enough time to get good meals on the table every day--resorting to mostly unhealthy takeout--and not enough time to be attentive to other needs of your own or your children/spouse/friends. If I hadn't retired early, I wouldn't've been able to take friends/relatives to colonoscopy, cataract surgery, dental surgery, back shot, and back surgery appointments. Wouldn't be able to take Mom to lunch & a movie from time to time. Certainly wouldn't be babysitting for my grandson!

I know people in their 60s & 70s who enjoy their work--find it minimally stressful, especially those who work part-time or mostly at home and are able to accomplish errands and chores during the day. It's sad when they have to work though, rather than want to.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41200 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:03 PM
Recommendations: 0
But...but...there's that sign over one entrace to my work that says "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here" and the other that says "Arbeit Macht Frei"

I was hoping for someplace nicer, eventually.

-=-=-

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41201 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:04 PM
Recommendations: 4
Geez, Tele - one minute Liberals are the people who don't want to work at all, the next you're ascribing to Liberals an article that tells you to work forever. Which is it?

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41202 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
this sounds it was written by some desperate lib businessman

Why does every single topic have to have some lib angle to it?

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41203 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:12 PM
not enough time to get good meals on the table every day--resorting to mostly unhealthy takeout

I never had that problem.

PSU

Author: CountUptotenII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41204 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:49 PM

Do you ever get the feeling that some people are more than a little warped?

Count Uptoten

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41205 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:53 PM
<<Guilty as charged. That is, I rec'd tele's post despite the jabs at liberal businessmen and union workers, coz the rest was spot-on and I'm feeling kind.>>

Heh, heh! Astromeria illustrates the patience one can acquire in retirement.

Personally though, now that I'm retired I'm all in favor of propaganda directed at keeping people working. intercst's early retirement program is properly regarded as being subversive!

Keep 'em working till they drop!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41206 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:56 PM

Once I'd accumulated sufficient capital to fund 100% of my living expenses with a 4% withdrawal, there really wasn't any amount of money that could get me to sit in an office for 8 hours/day.

intercst

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41207 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 1:56 PM
"Tele - one minute Liberals are the people who don't want to work at all, the next you're ascribing to Liberals an article that tells you to work forever. Which is it? "

Libs want wealth redistribution. That means that those who work are their 'work slaves' paying the benefits of the welfare leeches (usually who vote dem) who would rather not work and just collect beenfits.

It is those who are gullible enough to work and work and work...... to pay for the leeches and parasites....... and then the libs want to insure they don't have much left to live on so they have to work more.

Libs who write articles like that are academics (who have nice cushy jobs)....and lefties who think they are entitled to 'good jobs and good pay doing whatever 'fulfills' their wishes.

Sorry.....most folks DON"T want to work till they drop.

Libs need the income taxes, though, to redistribute. Thus, like the commies, it is 'everyone must work for the benefit of the state'...except, of course, the welfare weenies who get a free pass from the libs because, well, they are 'disadvantaged' or their great great great great grandfather was kidnapped by fellow AFricans...and shipped off to America......and 5 generations later, they are still 'suffering' from the idiocy of being told they are entitled to 'reparations' ...... from people who weren't even here 150 years ago in the country and their descendants. Sorry.

I'm tired of it.

I have no 'guilt complex' to compensate anyone or pay any welfare weenie not to work, but 'be retired for life' living off the working workers hard work......

Libs need the gullible to keep working and pay lots of taxes to fund their 'entitlement' society.

t.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41208 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 2:03 PM
Recommendations: 8
Libs want wealth redistribution. That means that those who work are their 'work slaves' paying the benefits of the welfare leeches (usually who vote dem) who would rather not work and just collect beenfits.

Ok, OK, I'm sorry about the rec!!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41209 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 2:14 PM
"Once I'd accumulated sufficient capital to fund 100% of my living expenses with a 4% withdrawal, there really wasn't any amount of money that could get me to sit in an office for 8 hours/day."

I had quite a few discussions with a fellow worker at MCI ....in the months preceding my 'early retirement'.

At the time, I had more than enough to live on (at 2-3% SWR) more than I was actually living on. (I was saving about 40% of my paycheck/income each month).

I was 52 at the time. I ran the numbers many times on the multiple planners that were on the web back 10-13 years ago..most of them have disappeared.

Then one day, he asked me: " Would you come in to work for FREE?"

That sort of hit me - ...and it was true. If I continued to work, all I would do is pile up more savings that would insure I would have more money each year than I was spending or even wanted to spend. I don't have a high consumption life style. My 4 bedroom house with pool was paid for. I had no debt.

Yep, if I worked till 65 or 66, like the government hoped, I would have paid at least another $500,000 in income taxes. I would have increased my nest egg by another 1/3rd. I'd have to spend at least 2 to 2.5 times per year, every year, that I was living on comfortably. I'm really not into expensive cars, really expensive vacations, super expensive hobbies.

yep...it hit me hard. Would I come to work for 'free'? Well, much of the time, work was interesting, but it had its ups and downs, and the telecom industry was going through a meltdown in 1998.

At the end of the year, the company had a 2% reduction in forces. Our department of 150 would offer 3 'early retirement incentives' to induce 3 folks to retire or LEAVE. It was 3 weeks pay for each year of service and a year of paid healthcare. I had 17 weeks of service. I jumped at the opportunity. My boss couldn't believe that 'I would want to retire' at 52.5. He was a workaholic.

I took the money and ran.

Post script......

1) My friend, who was about 60 at the time, worked another 5 years...until he could go on Medicare...... he had a major heart attack. He was building his retirement place in east Texas....with his sculpting studio..... he never got to live there..six months later he was dead.......age 66.... zero retirement

2) MCI/WCOM - filed bankruptcy six months later after I retired. The rest of the department I was in was chopped in half. Half of the 150 out the door - people went out the door. They got six weeks separation pay. Period. No other benefits. Booted out the door.

I looked back a few times. Six months after I left, the place had totally changed. people were paranoid about keeping their jobs. More went out the door later as re-orgs happened after Verizon took over the bankrupt WCOM.

....so it came down to : "Would you work for free"...and my realizing that and bailing out early.....was definitely the thing to do.....and financially rewarding, too!

Oh..that year...I paid beacoup taxes...two years salary in one year.....plus of course, investment income from the nest egg.....ouch.....

t

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41210 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 2:17 PM
With 44 million people getting food stamps, just who do you think is PAYING for all those benefits, the money fairy?

With a 25% growth annually in SS disability - because folks can't find a job, and an ingrown toenail can get you on SS disability with a crooked doc...... just who do you think is paying those SS taxes to fund the welfare cheats?

The government needs everyone it can convince to work to pay all those taxes to fund the 'benefits'....of which, I'd bet 50% are now to scammers and welfare weenies well able to work, but smart enough to know that bleeding heart libs will never cut them off.

t.

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41211 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 2:33 PM

Who says? Every human will be incapable of work if they live long enough

An assertion without basis. And just because it "can support" doesn't mean it will.

>>> I think I can find challenging and meaningful activities outside of work.

Amen. This is what Rich People do, the way. And this depends on what one means by challenging and meaningful

What if I already have enough money?

The author of this article really needs to, as he says in the article about making old cripples and coal miners work longer... "be stronger"

A man who writes for a living does no work and knows nothing of work

A lying pile right there. Maybe true in fact but in practice older workers are persona non grata in he land of "opportunity". Goes all the way back to the dawn of the Industrial Revolution

And when that work becomes easy and lucrative maybe some people will actually enjoy working longer. It's a marketplace thing

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41212 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 3:19 PM
not enough time to get good meals on the table every day--resorting to mostly unhealthy takeout
---------------------------

(a) how long are your work hours + commute?
(b) how old are you? how is your health/stress level? Do you have an SO to share the load on the home front?
(c) have you seen the lines at fast food and chain restaurants, chinese takeout and pizza joints at 5-7pm?!
(d) I'm happy you can do it!

Once I developed chronic Lyme, we usually got takeout once or twice a week...in MA in my early 40s, Chinese and pizza, in CA in my late 40s & early 50s, it was a variety of Asian and Mexican. We don't care for fast food or chain restaurants. Well, the wood-fired pizza in MA was a small local chain called Bertucci's...our order was always one medium melanzana and one medium sporkie for the 4 of us plus salad and garlic bread...melanzana = eggplant and mozzarella and sporkie = sausage and ricotta. Healthier and tastier than fast-food burgers & fries or fried chicken & sides from the Colonel, but still very carby and salty compared to home cookin'.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41213 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 9
Yep, if I worked till 65 or 66, like the government hoped, I would have paid at least another $500,000 in income taxes.

I know you think you are special but you really are replaceable. Someone else can step into your position and pay the additional taxes. You retired as the government hoped. They were still receiving income taxes for your position. You were not collecting unemployment or social security. Medicare wasn't paying for your health. You were not seeking employment so you were not increasing the unemployment rate.

If they was a beautiful sunrise tomorrow, you'd probably find some lib angle to exploit instead of just enjoying it.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41214 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 3:37 PM
(a) how long are your work hours + commute?

About 9.5 - 10 hours.

(b) how old are you? how is your health/stress level? Do you have an SO to share the load on the home front?

48 and average health. My wife also works and puts in far more hours. Her work + commute time is about 12 hours per day.

(c) have you seen the lines at fast food and chain restaurants, chinese takeout and pizza joints at 5-7pm?!

Yes. When my kids were younger and I had to stay home when they were sick, I would notice the frequency of food delivery cars at SAH parent homes. I always wondered why they couldn't cook dinner if they were home all day.

(d) I'm happy you can do it!

It takes coordination and organization. Some other two income family homes such as 2gifts were able to cook most days of the week.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41216 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 4:26 PM
PSUEngineer (Still working): "I know you think you are special but you really are replaceable."

Hmmm...they didn't replace me, and in fact, laid off another 75 folks.

I would have had to go out and take away a job from some younger worker.....and he'd be unemployed. Of course, likely I'd be making less too.....telecom salaries plummeted. Then again, I might have been one of the survivors had I stayed. There were very few folks with my background in the department.

----------

PSUEngineer:" Someone else can step into your position and pay the additional taxes. "

No one did. And there weren't too many with my background. Which is why they paid me the big bucks. But you can dream on.

-------

PSUEnginer:"You retired as the government hoped."

Actually, no. The gov't expected me to work to 66, to fill in all those zeros in the SS work years. I only had 31 work years. So I get 31/35ths of the SS I would have gotten had I worked another 4 years.

The gov't never hopes for less taxes. Only more and more and more

-----------

PSUEngineer:" They were still receiving income taxes for your position."

Nope, they didn't fill it. Not one of the 150 others there were qualified to take it.

---------

PSUEngineer:" You were not collecting unemployment or social security. "

Wrong. How wrong can you be on everything?

Actually, I did file for unemployment. I had been 'laid off'. Got 20 weeks or something like that.

And, I did start taking SS at 62, rather than work to my 'normal' retirement age of 66 1/3rd.

So, yep, I bled the government.

---------

PSUEngineer:"Medicare wasn't paying for your health. You were not seeking employment so you were not increasing the unemployment rate."

Actually, I was looking for a nice high paying equivalent job. There weren't any around as the telecom market had cratered and other telecom companies were laying off, not hiring. I would have had to relocate and that wasn't something I wanted to do.

I was technically increasing the unemployment rate. At least for a while.

--------

I'd hate to be in your shoes...it seems you'll work till you drop. That's your choice.

t

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41217 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 4:35 PM
I'd hate to be in your shoes...it seems you'll work till you drop. That's your choice.

Faulty conclusion. Try again.

PSU

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41218 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 6:22 PM
You retired as the government hoped. They were still receiving income taxes for your position. You were not collecting unemployment or social security. Medicare wasn't paying for your health. You were not seeking employment so you were not increasing the unemployment rate.

I'd say we took him for a ride. Nice job of cost shifting

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41219 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 6:38 PM
<<2) MCI/WCOM - filed bankruptcy six months later after I retired. The rest of the department I was in was chopped in half. >>

SO many people spend on the assumption that they can work for high pay as long as they like. That has proved to be a fallacy.

Even people who don't intend to retire early should plan on losing their high paying job, in my opinion.

But noooooo! So many people want to spend up front --- go into debt even, assuming that they will have years to work their way out of debt and for retirement. That's really foolish in my opinion.

And of course they are usually the ones whining about how unfair life is treating them.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41220 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 6:41 PM
<<If they was a beautiful sunrise tomorrow, you'd probably find some lib angle to exploit instead of just enjoying it. >>

Actually, I thought a lot of those pretty sunrises/sunsets were brought to you by oil refiners and people driving SUVs?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41224 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 9:34 PM

I guess that's why the company I retired from paid me to retire (i.e. a retirement bonus and separation payment). I retired because I knew it was useless to look for work in IT when one is over 60.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41229 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 10:12 PM
"Actually, I thought a lot of those pretty sunrises/sunsets were brought to you by oil refiners and people driving SUVs?"

It's nothing but nuclear energy ...the sun....and simple Einsteinien physics......

t.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41235 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/15/2012 10:53 PM

In tele world, there is evil at every turn and behind at least one choice for every decision. tele ascribes all evil to libs.

Bwaaahaaaahaaa. There are evil libs everywhere.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41238 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/16/2012 9:30 AM
Me either. I work about 90 hours a week at the moment. Plus a killer 4 hour RT to my main client a few days a week. And I STILL don't eat take out. I cook all from scratch, including fabulous curries.

It's a choice - like everything else.

Many of the people I work with could retire tomorrow - their stock makes them far wealthier than I will ever be. But they work, because they are engaged by it.

All that complaining about lib this/conservative that makes me sick. Snap out of your partisan ghetto mindset, people.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41243 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/16/2012 11:12 AM
Me either. I work about 90 hours a week at the moment. Plus a killer 4 hour RT to my main client a few days a week. And I STILL don't eat take out. I cook all from scratch, including fabulous curries.

But you aren't coming home to hungry children who need to eat asap--preferably NOW. And I expect you're more energetic, healthier--and more organized--than the average worker bee. Not to mention SAHMs getting takeout--I guess they just don't enjoy cooking. Being able to cook dishes that take time and care is one of the things I like best about retirement.

In the peak of my takeout phase, when we got takeout twice a week, I had chronic Lyme, was perpetually dizzy and exhausted, and could barely do my job. I was also developing gluten- and lactose-intolerance, although it took years to sort that out from the Lyme, which also has nasty gastrointestinal effects. My husband did most of the weekday cooking in those days (he had little choice--I collapsed in bed or on the sofa and often fell asleep as soon as I got home--during the short period of time we commuted together, I fell asleep for most of the morning and evening drives as well...chronic Lyme is a beeyotch, it;s why most sufferers stop working). Anyhow, DH chose takeout for respite. At least he didn't choose takeout fried chicken, burgers & fries, taco hell.

And now a moment of nostalgia for the wonton soup, shrimp w/lobster sauce and spicy eggplant or green beans from that surprisingly good hole-in-the-wall joint.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41244 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/16/2012 11:31 AM
"Actually, I thought a lot of those pretty sunrises/sunsets were brought to you by oil refiners and people driving SUVs?"
------------------

It's nothing but nuclear energy ...the sun....and simple Einsteinien physics......

The sunset color is dependent on the chemical compounds and/or particulates that may be contained in the air. For example, NOx will tend to give a brown color.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41245 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/16/2012 11:39 AM
Yeah, well I am pathologically organized - I'm a PM after all. And I'm a glutton, so I like to eat too much to not cook.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41247 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/16/2012 1:02 PM
I am pathologically organized

I would enjoy reading about how you organize your kitchen, favorite equipment, shopping, pantry, menus, whatever. With a 90-hr-a-week work schedule, I don;t expect to see this any time soon!

I am not organized by nature, so I pick up tips were I can.

I've learned some things since living in a small apartment that for some reason I didn't notice before...like I go through bay leaves and cumin much faster than other herbs & spices.

I miss my mortar & pestle, but I greatly prefer DD's smaller set, also heavy granite but way easier to pour from and clean.

I usually find a use for bottles and jars and seldom recycle them any more. I use big carrot juice bottles for dried beans and grains. Alas, I don't have my labeler, so sometimes I need to sniff to determine brown vs brown basmati, etc--this would be easier if I had dedicated spots for each bottle, but my one kitchen cabinet for food is jammed in tight in a small apartment. And I don't ever seem to use a funnel for any purpose other than filling bottles with grains!

I have one grater in the city, but I need 2. A micro-plane for ginger root and whole nutmeg, and a coarse one for cheese, carrots, and grating apples into hot cereal. Unfortunately I have one in-between size here, good for nothing but grating romano, adequate for ginger. I have to finely chop apples and I simply don't shred carrots.

Now that I have an immersion blender, I only use my food mill for applesauce. If I peeled & cored apples before making sauce, I could get rid of that item. But then my sauce wouldn't be pink ;-0

I can stir fry without my wok or specialized utensils, but it's not quite as good or as fast.

I can manage without my prep bowls by using dishes/bowls/mugs, but I miss my prep bowls neat nestiness, and the sense of "now I'm cookin!" when I put the bowls on the counter.

I can put away or even wash the previous day's dishes/dirty pots and fix a simple breakfast in the time it takes to boil water in a small kettle and infuse French press coffee.

I like the coffee I make from espresso beans and a cheap French press, but I miss hubby's homemade weekend latte's from the Italian coffee machine w/milk foamer, served in big French coffee bowls that I bought in Brittany. Especially on a sunny morning, with no pressing chores, there's an all's-right-with-the-world feeling that goes along with it.

I enjoy cooking for just myself as much as cooking for others. I don't understand people who don't care to shop & cook "just for myself."

My current favorite emergency rations (wish I'd thought of these back in our takeout daze!) are frozen homemade chicken tenders with fresh lemon juice and steamed cauliflower (I buy skinless chicken breasts on sale, freeze them lightly and cut them up. If they have bones I make chicken stock, but you really need a lot more than a few chicken breast bones to make decent stock! Something I'm not doing in the apartment, buying Pacific Organic chicken stock instead (which doesn't go on sale every 6 weeks like processed food is supposed to !#@^#%)

Other emergency dinners these days are frozen wild salmon portions that I pan-fry as teryaki salmon or cajun blackened salmon with garlic broccoli. And gluten-free pasta with finely crushed tomatoes and a light touch of romano with frozen limas with lemon and more romano. And a big dinner-sized salad with leaf lettuce, good feta, toasted walnuts, red grapes, and a some good balsamic vinegar and olive oil poured over all. And a good brand of frozen shrimp made into shrimp curry (which requires only things I always have on hand...coconut oil, onion, garlic, ginger, spices, diced tomatoes, coconut milk).

=alstro, who should be stripping the bed, washing the linens, and hanging them over racks to dry if I hope to have sheets on the bed tonight! (no dryer in my apartment)...ah, procrastination...

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41248 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/16/2012 3:44 PM

Bwaaahaaaahaaa. There are evil libs everywhere.

Who KNOWS what evil lurks in the hearts of liberals?

The Shadow...er...TELE knows!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHHAHAHAHA....

Ha.

;->

SG

(working on the laugh)

Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41299 of 59142
Subject: Re: 6 Reasons - Never Retire Date: 3/19/2012 6:28 PM
Here's six reasons to retire:

1. You can do all the stuff you always wanted to do while you are still fit enough to do it.

2. Work sucks, that's why they pay you for it.

3. Get out of the way and let the kids have a shot at the good jobs; this reduces the cost of goods and services since they work for less, and gives them gainful employment so they can take care of you later if you need it.

4. You can help the kids out with some of their child care issues which can save them a bundle.

5. You may not live as long so you are potentially less likely to outlive your money (and bankrupt Social Security... and bankrupt Medicare).

6. You can make yourself available to volunteer for all the helpful things that nobody can pay for anymore.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement