Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Reflect Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121567  
Subject: 60 Month Period for Student Loan Interest Date: 12/17/2001 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,

I've been researching the 60 month student loan interest deduction. After college, I (gasp) defaulted on a student loan. If I do not count the period that I didn't make payments, I am still within the 60 month period. I have found contradictory information within next years IRS filing documents. Can anyone point me to the tax law underlying this rule? All I can find is filing instructions that are too general to address my problem.

Regards,

Reflect
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56078 of 121567
Subject: Re: 60 Month Period for Student Loan Interest Date: 12/17/2001 3:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can anyone point me to the tax law underlying this rule?

You can look at code section 221 and Proposed Reg 1.221-1.

You're looking at the first 60 months that payments are required. I assume payments were required or you would not have defaulted. So I'm pretty sure those months count toward the 60 month limit.

The pain may not be too bad, as the 60 month limit is scheduled to go away for 2002.

--Peter

Author: Reflect Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56081 of 121567
Subject: Re: 60 Month Period for Student Loan Interest Date: 12/17/2001 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for your help. I used the information to search and found this link to the Hope - Higher Ed Site. http://www.ed.gov/inits/hope/interest_loans/sectionb.html

The second page addresses defaulted loans. It appears that you are correct. I've checked some other pages, but haven't found it specifically addressed elsewhere.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement