UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: meg48 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75828  
Subject: 7 years from retirement--asset allocation? Date: 4/11/2002 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I've been searching for articles or postings that can help me with this--but haven't found any.

I'm trying to decide if I should redirect my future 401(k) contributions to something other than an S&P 500 Index fund...I'm concerned that I may not be "diversified" enough, but whenever I read about other mutual funds (my 401(k) has a hefty list of options), I'm not sure that "diversification" into med-cap funds, bond funds, international funds, or even small cap funds makes sense, given expense ratios, etc. (All the reasons I went to an index fund in the first place.) However, the 401(k) does offer some other Index funds (Russell 2000, S&P mid-cap 400 Index, MSCI Europe, Australia and Far East Index, and Bond Index and a "split" 60% S&P 500 and 40% LB Aggregate Bond Index).

Here's my situation:

I'm about 7 years away (possibly as much as 10 years) from retirement. I am trying to put away the max ($11,000) per year in my 401(k). Currently, my retirement accounts (rollover IRAs, 401(k)) are all in the S&P index fund, totalling $117,448. I have about $8,000 in some individual stock picks (Walmart, Microsoft, EBay--companies I've researched on the Fool) in a Roth IRA, and will also try to maximize my Roth each year by continuing to pick individual stocks (it's fun for me). I have $15,000 in a no-load, tax free Bond Mutual Fund from a way back, and about $40,000 in cash that I need to keep at that level for a while because my husband is currently out of work due to heart surgery, daughter going to college in a year--etc.

So, are there any resources around on Fool or from your experience that would suggest I should change my future 401(k) contributions in some way? Otherwise, I'd continue to contribute to the S&P 500 Index for another 3-4 years before reassessing again.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement