UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ForHim210 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: 701/2 age stipulation Date: 1/28/2004 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all,
I tried to find info on the board about the following question and did not find any. So I hope I am not asking something that's already been answered.

My father is 70.5 which means he will have to move money out of his 401k plans. Does anyone know if you have to do that with one's Roth IRA as well. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do for him so that he is not hammered through taxes. Does anyone know what you can roll the money into or if it just has to be transferred to an after-tax account with a place like Freetrade or Ameritrade?

Also I was told that it is helpful to start getting certain assets out of his name, such as his house, and have it put in a child's name (that would be me). I'm asking because he was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I can see that his mind is slipping etc (very sad). Anyway, I want he and my mom to be provided for as well as I can and know that their expenses will increase as his disease gets worse. My mom is 8 years younger and in good health so I'm trying to think for her best too in that I want their money to last for them. Of course, I would try to help them financially if that were ever needed.

Lastly, I'm wondering if my dad's 401k money could be rolled tax free into my mom's name since she does not hit 70 for 8 years? Does anyone know the answer to that question? THanks for any help you can provide me.

From a daughter who just LOVES her parents!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement