Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have finally caught up and read all 445 messages since become Foolishly intelligent.

Here's my situation: I am 42 with a sizable self-directed IRA that was created from a 401K rollover and regular IRA contributions (mostly deductible). In 1997 I started with section 72t withdrawals-substantially equal payments- that must continue until I'm 59 1/2. I still want to contribute $2000 annually while I am still working. Rolling over the IRA to a Roth IRA is out of the question because the amount is quite large and even if spread over 4 years would put my AGI over 100K. I want to contribute the $2000 to a Roth IRA. When I calculate my 72t withdrawals in subsequent years will I use my regular IRA balance, or the sum of my regular IRA plus the Roth IRA?

Any other issues I should consider.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.