Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hjg0989 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: 8 years till ER Date: 10/11/2004 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi all,

I just found this board yesterday and am glad to see there are others as obsessive about ER as I am. My partner and I are 47 years old and are planning to retire at age 56.

I have made every mistake possible when it comes to retirement planning, but it looks like things will work out in spite of my errors. I didn't start saving until we were 37 years old - that's way late. I also work in the tech industry and turned out to be a real investment whiz ... until the crash where I lost a butt load of money.

However, my partner and I LBOM, we only took out a $87k 15 year mortgage (4 years to go), we have high earnings, no debt outside the mortgage, we will both have gov't pensions (reduced for ER though), and medical benefits in retirement.

So, we are maxing out our 401k/403b, Roths and stashing the rest away in Vanguard's Total Market Index fund.

My really rough figures are that we will have $800k - 1 million in the combined accounts, a combined pension in the low twenties and probably something from SS at 62. I also have a very small pension as a former Digital Equipment employee, but HP will have to stay a float to see that.

At the point that we retire, I would like to have 5 years of living expenses in laddered CDs. I guess when I get within 5 years of retiring (age 51) I will reduce the amount I put in the 401k/403b and in the after tax (Total Market Index) accounts and start buying CDs. I will also use the former mortgage money (12k per year) to buy the CDs.

Writing this is making me realize that I won't be able to take advantage of the after age 50 catch up for contributions to 401k/403b's and Roth's. I guess I would have a couple of options here:

1. Cut way back on spending at age 51 - this is probable plus we will receive raises between now and then.

2. Sell some of the existing money in the Vanguard Total Market Index fund to buy CDs.

3. Use a combination of 1 & 2.

Any other ideas ?

-helen

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement