Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445605  
Subject: 9/11 Date: 9/11/2005 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 154
The closest I ever came to believing in God was on 9/12/01.

Not on 9/11, because I was not thinking coherently that day; I had just watched my husband die on television in a grand and showy bonfire of ash and humanity. But the day after, when I started to think about what had happened, I started toying idly with the idea that there might be a God.

It wasn't that I needed consolation, or that I wanted to find a greater purpose in so much senseless death. It was that I had trouble believing that simple, random fate could be so horribly cruel. It seemed like there should be an intelligence behind that magnitude of cruelty. I was and am a Taoist; somehow such an enormity did not seem to fit my sense of the world's balance. Do you know the Rolling Stones song? That day very nearly destroyed my notion of circular time.

In a sense, I was right; there was an intelligence behind the cruelty. But it was not divine intelligence. It was the ordinary and everyday notion of otherwise functionally rational humans that they knew what God wanted of them, and, further, an honest attempt to do this bidding.

This is why I have never been able to find it in myself to be angry at the terrorists. They were essentially non-sane. Whether their sanity had been truncated due to illness or trauma or whether they had been born with a deficiency is irrelevant; it makes as much sense to be angry at them for killing as it would to be angry at a legless man for using crutches. In a very fundamental way, it was impossible for them to do otherwise.

Two of my husband's three brothers are born-again Christians. After 9/11, I heard from their mother that the eldest was angry with God. To be perfectly honest, I understood this rather less than I understood the motivation for crashing a plane into a building. If you truly believe in God, how can you be angry with him? Any action He performs must be acceptable. This made me angry, though it's hard for me to explain why; I felt that if the brother simply had to believe as he did, that he should at least be consistent in his belief. I heard later that he had made his peace; he had realized that God, in his infinite love, can and indeed must be cruel.

I could have told him that.

You will probably have noticed that I don't post on this board. I have never thought it either necessary or productive to discuss or expound the reasons why I think a belief in God is irrational. But I wanted to tell this story today because, in a moment of the greatest stress, I understood and nearly fell myself into the irrationality. Perhaps not for the same reasons that others do; but it was the other side of the same cheaply alloyed coin.

I recovered myself; and this, too, was part of the grieving and healing process. I remain a Taoist, and the events of 9/11 fit into my philosophy because Man fits there. Man is both the best thing and the worst thing that can happen to himself, and having himself, he needs no god, either to praise or to blame. This knowledge has nothing to do with moral strength, or intellectual fortitude, or anything like that. It was simply a matter of remaining sane; just as we do not congratulate a healthy person on their continued good health, we cannot congratulate ourselves on our own sanity.

For those who live with a non-sane world picture, I have only sorrow and pity. They deserve it more than I do.

About this post: I have already mentioned that I am not a regular visitor to this board, and I apologize if this constitutes an interruption. Frankly, I didn't know where else to put it. It's part of my grieving process; for your indulgence, my thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement