Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In the begining of the Year I contributed $2,000 to a standard IRA as a deductable contrbution. When I finished running the numbers I determined it was worth converted my IRA account to a Roth IRA. I converted my IRA to a Roth account then wondered how the deductable contribution should be treated.

Do I take a deduction of $2,000 to the standard IRA and include it as part of the distribution over the 4 year period?
Do I distibute the convertion amount minus the $2,000 over the 4 year period and consider the $2,000 a non-deductable contribution for 1998 to the Roth IRA?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.