Show Latest Posts:

The 50 Most Recent Messages By TTRoberts

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 11/6/04 5:36 PM
  • Number: 12480
  • Recommendations: 2
RCMX, you asked:

<< I am looking into purchasing Life Insurance for myself and my wife.

I am 35yrs of age, wife is 33yrs of age. We just had two baby boys (7 mos old).

My mortgage has $250K left to go, so I would hope

(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/6/04 5:00 PM
  • Number: 12479
  • Recommendations: 3
yttire, writes:

<< If you don't have any dependents, why do you need life insurance? >>

yttire askes a good question. Just note that a “need” for life insurance is NOT just about providing for dependents. There
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/6/04 4:30 PM
  • Number: 12478
  • Recommendations: 1
Bob,

<< (We had some, pretty serious, concerns... a thousand lashes for not advising your absence. ;-) >>

Well, let's make it a thousand less one (999), and I'll take it. ;-)

<< Great to see you back
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/6/04 2:18 PM
  • Number: 12476
  • Recommendations: 4
XCgeoff, you asked:

<< I'm looking to purchase term life insurance for myself and my wife and I'm trying to figure out how much and what length term would be the best decision for right now. I'm 25 and my wife will be 24 in a
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/6/04 1:15 PM
  • Number: 12474
  • Recommendations: 5
Hello, hello . . . hello. :-)

Yes, I'm back (at least for a little while).

Due to a combination of family and business issues that required a great deal of time and effort, I had to break an hold habit and lay off my participation on
(Continued...)
  • Date: 6/12/04 1:03 AM
  • Number: 11985
Bettf, you asked:

<< I have a life insurance policy that I “inherited” from my parents – it's a single payment policy (so I pay no premiums at all) on my life they bought when I was young, and now it's worth more than $600,000 when I
(Continued...)
  • Date: 6/12/04 12:40 AM
  • Number: 132
  • Recommendations: 0
Donmanning, you asked:

<< Can anyone help me understand the difference between "Variable Universal Life" and a "Variable Annuity"? >>

Yes! ;-)

<< The VUL salesman indicates that
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/25/04 11:31 AM
  • Number: 11929
David (a.k.a. davekone) writes:

<< I want everything (Except Life) under one company if possible, My Home, My Autos, Umbrella, Rental properties etc.. >>

Having it all under one company can be a good thing from the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/25/04 11:25 AM
  • Number: 11928
Kbecks, you asked:

<< My husband and I are both 34 and each have a $250,000 term life policy from NM. We are expecting our first child in October. Our policies are only 1.5 years old, it's called Term 75 insurance, with increasing
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/21/04 8:52 PM
  • Number: 11916
yskesa, you asked:

<< I am buying a a life insurance policy for 1 million and this is the info

company--met life
30 year term
I am in prefferred plus catogary non smoker.I will be paying 1020.00 per year. is it a

(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/21/04 8:38 PM
  • Number: 11915
ItGoesToEleven, you asked:

<< I scanned posts on this board back through January and didn't notice anything on this topic. >>

It's been quite a while, so you'd have to go back further for such posts.

<<
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/20/04 10:27 PM
  • Number: 11906
<< I should probably add that I've worked in insurance of one kind or another for more than 30 years, but have only had an agent license since 1997. Before that, I didn't have a job where I needed to be licensed, and I've never had a sales
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/20/04 6:13 PM
  • Number: 11902
Hi Rose (a.k.a. rosewine), you wrote:

<< I'd be interested in any feedback any licensed agents might have about what kind of information should be included in the exam questions for agent licenses. I am specifically interested in the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/20/04 5:29 PM
  • Number: 11901
Bob (a.k.a. robertoluna) you wrote:

<< Thanks TTRoberts. This helps to get my mind around the issues. I'd like to understand the variables before I talk to my agent. I am effectively cutting his pay as I reduce the adjustable life
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/19/04 11:20 PM
  • Number: 11896
Bob (a.k.a. robertoluna), you asked:

<< My wife and I (both age 38) have adjustable life policies we bought 10-12 years ago. They have been the bulk of our coverage, with some term filling in the gaps.

I'd like to revamp the

(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/19/04 11:43 AM
  • Number: 41053
Tom (a.k.a. tlswms), you asked:

<< We've inherited a home with a small mortgage and have decided to keep it as a rental property vice selling it. This decision provided us with better diversification overall as our net worth didn't
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/17/04 4:52 PM
  • Number: 11884
NoIDAtAll, you wrote:

<< What I was thinking is that, if the car AND all other assets are owned by one FLP, all of the assets of the FLP go on the line in an auto accident, as owner of the car involved - The owner of a vehicle in an
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/17/04 12:56 PM
  • Number: 11882
NoIDAtAll, you wrote:

<< Maybe, but in an auto accident the driver of the vehicle remains liable for reparation of damages in excess of that provided by the vehicle owner or the owner's Liability Insurance. One might carry a Broad
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/16/04 10:21 PM
  • Number: 11877
Many times, rather than buying a lot of insurance (transferring risk), some other risk management technique can be a better choice for managing most of the risk. For example, if you don't own assets then there's nothing to be at risk. Therefore,
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/10/04 1:08 PM
  • Number: 3948
Beemandad, you asked:

<< would appreciate any input the group could give on the following situation. Grandfather created a generation skipping trust which, on his death, was funded with $500K, half of which was muni bonds
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/8/04 1:01 PM
  • Number: 1559
harveyivory, you asked:

<< What I am looking for is a book for them to read to get the basics down, so they can at least understand what is going on and what questions to ask, and then have some understanding of the answers. Any
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/3/04 5:27 PM
  • Number: 11822
knows09 , you asked:

<< I have a Variable Whole Life policy that I was hoping some professionals could evaluate for me. >>

I can't give you any “evaluation,” but I might be of some help anyway . . . at least I'll
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/2/04 5:05 PM
  • Number: 11819
exeter17, you asked:

<< So whatever is on the 1099 is likely to be correct. >>

Most likely yes. But people who make out the 1099's are not infallible.

<< If its a loss I can't deduct it right?
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/2/04 2:30 AM
  • Number: 11813
NoIDAtAll, you asked:

<< “taxable only to the extent of the amount you've received(including any outstanding loans) exceeds the total of premiums that has been paid.”

Is total premium deducted from surrender amount?

(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/1/04 12:38 PM
  • Number: 40796
Kayemess, you wrote:

<< I'm confused then. I don't think I can just take it out, as you suggest. >>

You're probably confused because of how brewer12345 wrote this. If you'll read what he said a little closer and
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/30/04 3:57 PM
  • Number: 11808
knows09, you asked:

<< If you were to cancel your policy, do you pay taxes on the amount you get back? >>

. . . taxable only to the extent of the amount you've received(including any outstanding loans) exceeds the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/30/04 2:49 PM
  • Number: 40784
brewer12345, you wrote:

<< If Quattrone was a CFA, he ain't no more. AIMR has almost certainly stripped him of his charter. Realistically, if you are inclined to be unethical, it doesn't matter what letters you have after your
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/30/04 2:29 PM
  • Number: 40781
TheBadger, you writes:

<< I am a CPA/CFP & of those two, a CPA is much more comprehensive and valuable. >>

I've found this to be a true statement as far as it goes. However, I've known CPA's who were pretty
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/30/04 2:12 PM
  • Number: 40776
TheBadger, you writes:

<< However, I think implicitly, you raise a more fundamental question: how do find a good financial planner? Actually, IMHO, it is simple:

1. Hire some one who is established, provides just a couple of

(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/30/04 11:04 AM
  • Number: 11806
exeter17, you asked:

<< Is there ever a point where the surrender value (the moeny i get back when I cancel) is close to the insurance + other value? >>

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you're asking, is
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/29/04 5:10 PM
  • Number: 11804
smitty7, you wrote:

<< Thanks for all of the posts. I see now that I do need to think more about wants, and not necessarily what will be needed at the bare minimum. My wife wants me to have a bit more, so I should do that? Not
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/29/04 5:02 PM
  • Number: 11803
Missash, you wrote:

<< If it seems too good to be true............Thought I'd provide a f/u to my question about a month ago about doing a 1035 exchange. Agent with the insurance company my whole life policy is with calls me up;
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/29/04 2:51 AM
  • Number: 11798
sunflare writes:

<< As a person in a very similar position, I'd have to say that I'm leaning more toward your wife's opinion. I'm principle wage-earner, spouse makes about 75% what I do, we just bought a house, and we're trying to
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/28/04 10:43 PM
  • Number: 11796
smitty7 you clarified:

<< Maybe I should clarify a couple of things.

I am not the only income earner here.
>>

Yes, I understood that from the beginning.

<< My wife makes about 80% of my
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/28/04 10:27 PM
  • Number: 11795
Alan (a.k.a. pirategraham), you remarked:

<< "When we bought insurance, the agent told us many people go with 10 to 12 times the salary to be replaced"

I didn't know this was possible. My insurance company told me I

(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 11:46 PM
  • Number: 11790
smitty7, you asked:

<< First time posting on this board, but I guess it's due to life changes. My wife is expecting and we are now faced with getting life insurance for both of us. While I am of the belief that life insurance is not
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 5:12 PM
  • Number: 11786
npeters338, you asked:

<< I have a home and two cars that I need to get insurance for. I have received quotes from many different companies. AT this time, State Farm and Farmers Group Insurance have provided me with the best quotes.
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 5:00 PM
  • Number: 11785
MakingTrax, you asked:

<< Thanks, those are excellent points to consider. I also had some concerns about the "stacking" as you refer to it. Not only how that plays into the payment between two policies, but also how that
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 12:50 PM
  • Number: 11780
NoIDAtAll, you responded with:

<< I ain't seen a $3.20/$1000 rate on Property in a while - That looks like a decent deal, as far as the coverages you have go, to me. You might (should) have a couple of contractors prepare
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 12:34 PM
  • Number: 11779
Kevin (a.k.a. cfofool), you wrote:

<< I've recently been educated in the world of disability insurance in my new job as CFO at a professional firm. We have good group coverage and one of the partners has a number of additional
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 12:23 PM
  • Number: 11778
MakingTrax , you asked:

<< I've been reviewing my monthly expenses & looking to see what unnecessaries can be cut. My cursor kept hovering over the monthly disability insurance payment...but before I hit the delete button, thought I
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/27/04 11:52 AM
  • Number: 11776
Jerry (a.k.a. old14), you asked:

<< I'm not sure it makes sense to be paying Chubb $3,200/yr for $1M on the Dwelling, $500K on Contents and $2m Liability whereas the house on 4.5 acres might bring $500K but the land would be worth
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/22/04 9:26 PM
  • Number: 11754
serbear4u, you asked:

<< I'm 29 yo, non-smoker, pretty good health-wise. I've got a fiancee with about a year until the wedding. We both make about $35k. Both our cars are paid and we rent at $900/mo. I want to be able to support her
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/15/04 9:41 PM
  • Number: 11720
dpratt123, you asked:

<< First - some background. I am 28 years old, I make about $115k + approx $40k or so bonus per year. I currently rent my apartment, and I want to buy a home.

A few years ago, when I was much more foolish

(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/12/04 4:43 PM
  • Number: 11717
missash,

<< Thank you so much for the advice. I will get the book you suggested >>

For your set of issues, be sure to focus primarily on chapter's 2,4 & 5.

. . . .enjoy. :-)
  • Date: 4/12/04 3:44 PM
  • Number: 11714
Missash, you asked:

<< TTRoberts: Thank you for your response...the basic facts are: I have a 20 year old whole life policy with cash value about $250,000, $900,000 death benefit. I expect never to touch the cash value and hold the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/12/04 2:28 PM
  • Number: 11713
Hi Kathy (a.k.a. Kayemess ), you wrote:

<< You are 100% right that what I am seeking is ADVICE. You are right that the forum is not the place for it, but I guess from lurking so long I've come to put more weight in what I hear from
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/12/04 1:20 PM
  • Number: 11710
gaelic1234, writes:

<< David, I am a physician and do NOT recommend that you purchase cancer coverage.

Is your health relatively good? Unless you are a smoker, over 55 or so, obese, etc...AND do not get routine checkups by

(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/12/04 12:58 PM
  • Number: 11709
checkingitout , you asked:

<< Has anyone ever heard of insurance companies going back a few years to recalculate premiums due and then billing them to their customers? >>

No, I can't say that I've ever heard
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/10/04 10:56 PM
  • Number: 11704
Ucon writes:

<< Something to consider, does the policy have a clause stating you will pay back any sums paid out to you if recieve benefits from another source, such as a Social Securtiy Disability Award, or from a separate policy
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 50

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z