Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By LorenCobb

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 10/19/17 11:22 AM
  • Number: 79102
  • Recommendations: 1
I have been paying a lot of attention recently to the many ways in which scientists fail to communicate what they are thinking. For example, when a scientist tells a reporter that “The estimated loss is on the order of 100 gigatonnes per day” then
(Continued...)
  • Date: 10/13/17 6:43 PM
  • Number: 79014
  • Recommendations: 4
it might be better if everyone drove a gas-powered hybrid that gets high mpg. But most people drive, on average, a 25 mpg car.

Back in June I sold my old 1996 Toyota Previa van (175,000 miles @ 19mpg) and replaced it with a new
(Continued...)
  • Date: 10/4/17 4:35 PM
  • Number: 78827
  • Recommendations: 9
Interesting thread.

StP: Correlation = causation [NOT]

No modern scientific study of causation ever claims that a causal link exists based on mere correlation. As I recall, there were a few philosophers in the 18th and 19th
(Continued...)
  • Date: 9/25/17 3:08 PM
  • Number: 499568
  • Recommendations: 5
1pg wrote: Interesting podcast with a guy who has written a book wherein he demonstrates that the Book of Mormon was largely plagiarized from a book of Marco Polo's travels. With some bits stolen from other sources. He is making the case that
(Continued...)
  • Date: 9/25/17 2:25 PM
  • Number: 78638
  • Recommendations: 4
I don't find this idea bizarre at all. This is one of the best examples of how some relatively simple partial differential equations can be solved to predict (a) circumpolar Rossby waves, also known as jet streams, (b) poleward-propagating
(Continued...)
  • Date: 7/24/17 12:09 PM
  • Number: 520237
  • Recommendations: 25
BJ wrote that, "Private cryptocurrencies are not the part of the society that issues money or needs to have a careful accounting of how much is circulating in support of that society. They serve as a "store of value" but are utterly
(Continued...)
  • Date: 7/19/17 9:18 PM
  • Number: 497570
  • Recommendations: 23
There actually is an easy way to get rid of tritium: just let it sit there, wherever it is. The half-life of tritium is only about 12 years, so it disappears on its own fairly quickly. Plutonium, for comparison, has a half-life of 24,000 years
(Continued...)
  • Date: 7/16/17 12:30 PM
  • Number: 26438
  • Recommendations: 1
bjchip asks, "Are you aware of any major religion (one that has many followers and/or survived for a long time) that places the welfare and rights and well-being of the individual ahead of the group, the society, the family and civil
(Continued...)
  • Date: 6/17/17 7:49 PM
  • Number: 496495
  • Recommendations: 89
I am told (thanks, Rita!) that my recent lack of participation in TMF discussion boards has been noticed, and has even caused some concern.

Fear not, I am still lurking deep in the background. My silence has been due to poor health; I did
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/13/17 8:00 PM
  • Number: 491829
  • Recommendations: 8
Sahm took the $20 practice [literacy test] and thought it was a poorly designed test with multiple-choice questions that seemed to have more than one correct answer.

Hmmm.

There are a surprising number of traps and pitfalls
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z