Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By LorenCobb

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 5/20/15 1:53 PM
  • Number: 62381
  • Recommendations: 4
I have to say that it is personally a great relief to me to see these discussions of ways and means for mitigating and/or adapting to climate change. We should have begun focusing on this debate many years ago, but at least it has
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/20/15 1:30 PM
  • Number: 62380
  • Recommendations: 31
This is an argument that has been addressed about 15 times on this board, but I'll repeat myself in hopes that at one point it sinks in.

Oh, I understand the economic point perfectly well.

What you are advocating is the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/19/15 10:52 AM
  • Number: 452286
  • Recommendations: 26
On its "Science" pages, the New York Times has recently published a collection of photos from the Hubble Space Telescope that is, in my humble opinion, one of the best yet assembled. The NYT asked astronomers from around the world
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/15/15 11:55 AM
  • Number: 62265
  • Recommendations: 16
albaby: Measures that we've just come to regard as the 'standard' warm proposal - carbon taxes, expedited of all carbon-free energy technology (like more nukes), and investment and successful adoption of carbon capture and storage - still will
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/14/15 6:47 PM
  • Number: 216905
  • Recommendations: 20
TransverseSlice: At some point in the stratification/segmentation game, the difference in pricing and size of niche becomes so small that it stops mattering (especially if you start factoring other things like operational expenses etc.).
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/14/15 12:53 PM
  • Number: 25435
To be more precise, they inhibited the expression of two genes in chickens, and found that this caused the embryos to grow dinosaur-like snouts instead of beaks. Here is a summary from the CBC:

Scientists have grown dinosaur-like
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/13/15 5:03 PM
  • Number: 452167
  • Recommendations: 7
Okay, I finally saw the video by opening it with FireFox. I also found an article in Wikipedia that gives more information.

Their goal -- to make remembering addresses easier -- is an interesting human engineering problem. Needless to say,
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/13/15 3:59 PM
  • Number: 452153
  • Recommendations: 7
Wait a minute. Just wait a damn minute here.

The ORIGINAL "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" was *not* a movie. It was a 1939 short-short story in The New Yorker magazine, by the late great James Thurber. It happens to be one of
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/13/15 3:34 PM
  • Number: 452150
...no one seems to be interested...

Maybe it's because everyone tried to watch the video and, like me, saw nothing at all. I tried three times, and have bupkis. Oddly enough (for a website supposedly about words) there is no text or
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/12/15 7:04 PM
  • Number: 452106
  • Recommendations: 1
Alas, I am not related to Charles Darwin any more than alstro is related to George Soros.

My grandfather really did introduce Karl Jung to an audience as "Sigmund Freud". There were thousands present to hear Jung speak at the
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z