Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By LorenCobb

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 5/18/18 3:15 PM
  • Number: 507696
  • Recommendations: 28
DB2: Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't a rock displace water?

A rock tossed into a pond does indeed displace water, and the level of the pond rises, of course.

The root issue here concerns a comparison of
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/3/18 1:11 PM
  • Number: 26622
  • Recommendations: 3
Be careful with what Berlinski says, very careful. He is considerably smarter than the usual run of academics, authors, and scientists. He likes to amuse himself by toying with people, especially those in the grip of religion and ideology. He holds
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/25/18 3:12 PM
  • Number: 507065
  • Recommendations: 5
Acceleration is provided by torque, not horsepower. DC motors provide constant (and maximum) torque from zero RPM up to their synchronous speed, which is why EVs and some hybrids seem to have neck-snapping acceleration.

Thanks for
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/24/18 6:36 PM
  • Number: 507041
  • Recommendations: 7
FWIW, my 6-month-old Toyota RAV4 Hybrid also has two electric motors and a 2.5 liter gas engine. Its real-world range seems to average about 425 miles. Our real-world MPG in the summer is 35, but in the winter it slips to 33, due to the extra
(Continued...)
  • Date: 4/14/18 11:34 PM
  • Number: 82050
  • Recommendations: 2
Are you the Loren Cobb in this article?

Yep. A very dubious distinction, I must say.

Loren
  • Date: 3/30/18 6:44 PM
  • Number: 81873
  • Recommendations: 11
Schneider: ... the new model could employ modern computational capabilities, including machine learning techniques, to harness and learn from diverse data. This capability would enable a model to continuously update and improve
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/15/18 3:22 PM
  • Number: 80636
  • Recommendations: 4
In the interactive map, the default discount rate is set at 10%. That seems very aggressive to me, and not at all realistic. Some businesses work in areas where a 10% discount rate is used for planning, but AFAIK only when enormous government tax
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/18 12:32 AM
  • Number: 26618
  • Recommendations: 6
Jeremy England is a young biophysicist with an interesting take on nonlinear far-from-equilibrium thermodynamics: he sees life as an inevitable outcome of thermodynamics. To quote from a recent article in Quanta Magazine,"his [2013] equations
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/13/18 7:48 PM
  • Number: 26617
  • Recommendations: 10
Whatisid.com: Creationism typically starts with a religious text and tries to see how the findings of science can be reconciled to it. Intelligent design starts with the empirical evidence of nature and seeks
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/22/17 2:41 PM
  • Number: 79855
  • Recommendations: 3
Pete wrote, Double-blind peer review results in different sort of reviews than single-blind. [...] Once papers are allocated to reviewers, single-blind reviewers are significantly more likely than their double-blind counterparts to recommend for
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z