Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By LorenCobb

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 10/25/16 2:27 PM
  • Number: 481249
  • Recommendations: 6
goofnoff: The [political] divide will remain as long as Republicans think Democrats give minorities too much of an advantage, and too many free things. They almost universally believe that meme. Then, of course there are the religious bigots, and
  • Date: 10/24/16 7:32 PM
  • Number: 72406
  • Recommendations: 6
This does indeed look like egregious academic fraud. The article fails to mention whether the funds were given to CCCEP as a grant, or as a contract. In the former case there is no requirement that the research result in any
  • Date: 10/23/16 7:42 PM
  • Number: 481101
  • Recommendations: 8
My ballot had 22 candidates for President. Who ARE all these people??

Anyway, when you do vote, please take the down-ballot races very seriously. Judges, district attorneys, and attorneys general are absolutely critical for maintaining the
  • Date: 10/23/16 4:05 PM
  • Number: 481086
  • Recommendations: 7
Goofnoff: This belief, or maybe desire, that the world is ending is truly abnormal psychology... [But] these people couldn't have all been dropped on their heads as infants.

I think we really need a major scientific mental health

• Date: 10/22/16 6:16 PM
  • Number: 481045
  • Recommendations: 35
The stars were still shining brightly this morning when my dog Toby* and I went out to the back deck to enjoy a reflective moment in the hot tub. More precisely, I got in the tub while Toby patrolled for subversive rabbits that infiltrate at
  • Date: 10/20/16 2:40 PM
  • Number: 68931
  • Recommendations: 2
I have never heard of or seen that error before. A quick (five second) Google search reveals many people asking about this message. Apparently the full message reads:

CoreTelephony Trace File Error

A file operation for
  • Date: 10/20/16 2:27 PM
  • Number: 480952
  • Recommendations: 9
really just stunning.

This little item is a very recent update of an old but very popular video that zooms out from our daily physical reality to the outer limits of the known universe, and then down to the smallest scales known. Many new
  • Date: 10/19/16 1:57 PM
  • Number: 480904
  • Recommendations: 4
Oops indeed. I left out an important caveat in my two-sentence explanation of a "significance level".

The sentence should read:

If the differences between control and experimental groups is tested at the "5%
  • Date: 10/19/16 12:17 AM
  • Number: 480885
  • Recommendations: 73
This incident illustrates the way in which the distrust of ordinary folks in science can grow and morph into full-blown conspiracy theories. In this case the sequence of events went like this:

1. A group of anti-vaxxers provided funding for
  • Date: 10/16/16 10:58 PM
  • Number: 22795
  • Recommendations: 0
Sorry, I hit the Return key accidentally. I was about to add another excellent reference work on the KKK in Indiana:

Moore, Leonard J. Citizen Klansmen: The Ku Klux Klan in Indiana, 1921-1928, University of North Carolina Press,
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z