Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By albaby1

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 1/15/15 11:09 AM
  • Number: 446481
  • Recommendations: 0
How do you deal with an employer who is a deist and hates all the organized religions.... berates them all and athiests too?

Probably with a lawsuit against the employer for violating the Civil Rights Act, assuming that the berating
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 6:12 PM
  • Number: 446444
Is the employer/employee relationship or student/teacher relationship analogous to the 1st amendment right of an independent press?

No. Again, this particular discussion is not about whether someone has a First Amendment right to
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 6:06 PM
  • Number: 446443
  • Recommendations: 1
But that's not allowed in the work place. I cannot denigrate any of my Xian, Muslim, Judaic, Hindu or Buddhist coworkers' beliefs. Discussion of religion is not allowed at work, and complaints to HR will result in discipline (or termination if
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 5:59 PM
  • Number: 446441
Are you saying that religious behavior of some religionists is just as innate as chromosome analysis specificity (ie, Y-chromosome) is to gender (I didn't use skin color to race, as I'm not big into the idea of 'race science' though in this
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 5:23 PM
  • Number: 446437
I won't speak for the OP, but for myself I see a difference. If I berate/denigrate a person for being a Jew (religious) that is not the same as doing so because they are Jewish (ethnicity). I denigrate ALL religions, and the beliefs they espouse.
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 4:56 PM
  • Number: 446435
Because, as has been pointed out repeatedly, where one can choose one's religion, one cannot choose ones race.

As long as its speech, and it's not libel or slander (or yelling fire in a crowded theater) it's important that it be

(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 4:50 PM
  • Number: 446434
I don't see "set of behaviors" as analogous to "set of beliefs".

If we stipulate that sexual orientation is immutable, then it follows that the resulting behavior from that sexual orientation is NOT just a belief.

(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 1:49 PM
  • Number: 446421
And still not cause to blow-up the magazine's office or kill the cartoonists and editorial staff!

Indeed. But if someone did commit such violence, we would be reticent to claim "I am ________" in solidarity with that
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 1:47 PM
  • Number: 446420
As a matter of law (hostile environment) or as a matter of politics?

As a matter of politics - you would expect to see much of the same process as with Brendan Eich, who was pushed out of Mozilla for supporting Prop 8 in California.
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/14/15 1:42 PM
  • Number: 446419
How about athiests? Are they protected from being fired for having no belief in any god?

Yes.

Discrimination in action - hiring, firing, promotion (or creating a hostile work environment) or in providing services to the
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z