Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By albaby1

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 2/11/16 6:11 PM
  • Number: 465208
  • Recommendations: 1
Dunno. Had to just look him up. I would say he was -at best- a left-leaning(??) moderate if he supported either of those pieces of legislation.

That's actually a little poignant. Paul Wellstone was one of the most liberal Senators
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 5:58 PM
  • Number: 465206
Only one Senator voted against the Patriot Act (Wellstone).

Whoops! That was Feingold, not Wellstone.
  • Date: 2/11/16 5:57 PM
  • Number: 465205
For example. If she really cared about the Constitution she would have rejected the Patriot Act. She might have lost (i.e. the bill would have passed anyway), but if she believed in civil liberties and the Bill of Rights she should voted against
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 5:33 PM
  • Number: 465198
If true, that's pretty sad given that Hillary voted for BOTH the Patriot Act and for DOMA.

Left?

I don't think so. Both of those are intolerant and authoritarian bits of legislation. I'll give her Iraq...we were all lied to. But

(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 2:17 PM
  • Number: 465175
  • Recommendations: 0
"Left" is a set of ideas/ideals that don't really move. But it also is a relative term, I must concede. In fact, I think I mentioned that up-thread already!

Oh, I know. I'm just trying to tease out why Clinton wouldn't be
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 12:54 PM
  • Number: 465170
  • Recommendations: 2
The Dems are about to nominate Hillary. She's a moderate. Left of center, but not by a lot.

She's fairly liberal. Her voting record in the Senate (using the DW-NOMINATE rating) was to the left of Obama, and to the left of Biden -
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 11:56 AM
  • Number: 465166
It is semantics to some extent. Pataki held most of the positions that Republicans support, but perhaps not as extremely. And he differed on a few. I wouldn't say he was "far right". He was "moderate". He's
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 11:20 AM
  • Number: 465163
I suppose it is relative. I would say when those candidates ran they were "far right". That doesn't mean they were the furthest right of any in their party, but they were not in any way moderate.

Well, then we get into a
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 11:02 AM
  • Number: 465158
I think the original statement was correct. If you aren't far-right you are not getting the Republican nomination today.

Again, I don't see it. McCain "swung" right in 2008, but he wasn't the choice of the far right wing
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/11/16 9:17 AM
  • Number: 465154
In our present system of primaries, it is impossible for the GOP to nominate someone who is not hard right.

Perhaps - although ironically, the last two nominees (McCain and Romney) were not thought of as being from the hard
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z