Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By elann

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 1/15/18 8:57 PM
  • Number: 269130
  • Recommendations: 5
So what distinguishes those who succeed from those who fail.

Whenever this question comes up, I think it's a good idea to once more read Nassim Taleb's book Fooled by Randomness.

Elan
  • Date: 1/14/18 3:00 PM
  • Number: 269116
  • Recommendations: 0
Colloquially, the way to understand it is: you should be in stocks when anything is looking good, and you should be out of stocks when everything looks bad. It is not symmetric.

No, scratch that. I said it wrong. (Told you this is

(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 5:10 PM
  • Number: 269070
  • Recommendations: 6
About 30-33 positions in a $1M portfolio is $30,000 per position. Is that where most people would say is a good limit for individual position size? In a $2M, it would be $60,000 each.

Higher.

The first million is the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 4:26 PM
  • Number: 269069
  • Recommendations: 0
the electric cars are so much simpler mechanically that they require almost no maintenance. Most of the maintenance is done through software downloads while you sleep.

My last three cars, the only maintenance was mechanical--not engine

(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 1:50 PM
  • Number: 269060
  • Recommendations: 1
I don't know of many (any?) screens whose deeper picks that are measurably market beating in real life use.
Might as well add RSP for that part of the portfolio. (only partly in jest!)

No jest. I've set a limit on
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 1:45 PM
  • Number: 269059
Well look on the bright side. They will get a lot of problems worked out in the interim and you will likely end up with an even better vehicle.

I hear they're building lots of cars and holding them on a lot waiting for the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 3:39 AM
  • Number: 269055
  • Recommendations: 10
I was thinking that holding 3 or so stocks, subjects you to too much randomness, and you don't get the full benefit of the screen.

By holding say 10, one outlier would not screw up your results.

What you should care
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 3:06 AM
  • Number: 269054
  • Recommendations: 7
My MI portfolio total return for 2017 was just under 13%, with about 25% of the portfolio held in cash. That's somewhat disappointing when compared to the S&P, but not catastrophic. I'd say it's par for the course in a year when
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/9/18 12:43 AM
  • Number: 269053
For those stuck at the step of whether or not to invest, the logical thing to do is to move past that point and focus on position sizing. If you’re more sceptical, invest less. If more confident, invest more. But even for the most sceptical, you
(Continued...)
  • Date: 1/8/18 6:31 PM
  • Number: 269046
  • Recommendations: 2
Did you take delivery of your model 3 yet?

Heh, don't I wish. I was pretty late signing up. I figure there's zero chance I'll get it in 2018. Even have doubts about 2019, unless a lot of people give up and
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z