Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By gritton

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 9/29/15 11:39 PM
  • Number: 258590
  • Recommendations: 19
This is just a little fluff perhaps, since it doesn't change anything substantial, but I've added short links to the backtester output. Think of it as one of those "mini URL" websites, except that it's still on (Continued...)
  • Date: 9/28/15 5:00 PM
  • Number: 258560
  • Recommendations: 36
OK, LPZ_Stable is now in the backtester. While adding it, I noticed a few others that had made it into the rankings but not the backtester, and I've added those as well. Altogether, these are now in the standard screen
  • Date: 9/28/15 3:12 PM
  • Number: 258558
  • Recommendations: 3
Not sure what final version was used on the weekly screens but since that looks like my name attached this is what I used:

• Date: 9/27/15 12:42 PM
  • Number: 258525
  • Recommendations: 5
I think that, as a general rule, it would be great if Jamie offered to
keep adding all new "standard" screens to the backtester pull-down list.
i.e, all of the VL screens that are in the weekly postings that can be expressed in

• Date: 9/5/15 1:03 PM
  • Number: 258210
  • Recommendations: 25
"If the service is free, you're not the client, you're the product".

And I have to say you're a valuable part of the Motley Fool product lineup :-).

- Jamie
  • Date: 9/4/15 3:29 PM
  • Number: 258194
  • Recommendations: 5
I have something of an interest in keeping the backtester data going, and it looks like the future of that will involve a new VL subscription. I keep hearing talk of a discount available along with a Fidelity account, but a call to Fidelity
  • Date: 9/1/15 10:31 AM
  • Number: 258107
  • Recommendations: 6
It's always been a good idea to be leery of backtests with opening prices. Historical quotes are often pretty sketchy on the open, often having no data at all (CRSP) or something that looks a lot more like the previous day's close than it should
  • Date: 8/17/15 7:34 PM
  • Number: 257767
For dividends, what is the relationship between Date of Record, trade date, settlement date, ex-dividend date?

The ex-dividend date is the only one that matters - that's when the stock actually "gets" its dividends, when
  • Date: 7/2/15 11:33 AM
  • Number: 257083
They have more in common than confusingly similar names.

• Date: 6/18/15 11:39 AM
  • Number: 256912
  • Recommendations: 11
This reminds me ... what if someone wanted to subscribe to VL for the first time, say to keep a backtest database up to date after the group that used to have such a subscription disbanded? You know, just as a theoretical scenario.

Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z