Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By Vetiver

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 3/18/17 12:17 AM
  • Number: 2144563
  • Recommendations: 38
For those that remember that movie, to distract from a sex scandal weeks before an election a president fakes a war. There were real analogs to this. Clinton's intervention in Yugoslavia was labeled as a wag the dog event as was Nixon's
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/15/17 11:37 PM
  • Number: 2144072
  • Recommendations: 0
"IIRC, Richard Bellman, who created dynamic programming, solved the TS problem, albeit perhaps not as elegantly as mathematicians would like."

My impression was that the Bellman solution was not an exact one but a proof
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/15/17 6:55 PM
  • Number: 2144037
  • Recommendations: 1
For those that missed it, Bernie gave a Town Hall in WV in a county that voted 75% Trump. Those in actual attendance were almost all Trump voters. The voters there reacted to Bernie the same way voters everywhere do. One voter stood up to
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/15/17 3:19 PM
  • Number: 2143997
There is a related problem to the Traveling Salesman called the Knights Tour: Can a knight on a chess board visit each square on the board once and only once and end up a knights move away from the original square? It turns out there are multiple
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/15/17 11:51 AM
  • Number: 2143931
  • Recommendations: 5
In 2000, the Clay Mathematics Institute, created the Millennium Prize; they picked the 7 most significant unsolved math equations and offered $1 million to anyone that could solve any one of them. Within 3 years, one of them had been solved but
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/14/17 2:22 PM
  • Number: 2143746
  • Recommendations: 2
As noted elsewhere, one reason to question HRC's actual intnet to be "tough on Wall Street" was the rate at which she was filling her pockets with Wall Street money prior to the 2016 primaries. Well, it seems she has nothing on The
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/12/17 12:28 AM
  • Number: 2143362
"Their OWN constituents from West Virginia to Kentucky to Ohio - will suffer."

As I have noted before, prior to the Civil War, one of the largest groups that was negatively impacted by slavery (other than the slaves
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/11/17 11:52 PM
  • Number: 2143360
For those of us that enjoy looking at data, The Wesleyan Media Project has published an analysis of the advertising from the 2016 election. Not that anything in the data will be particularly surprising, but seeing opinions reduced to numbers has
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/10/17 9:28 PM
  • Number: 2143229
Many people are familiar with the Ignobel Prizes, awards given out every year for the most worthless scientific research. Fittingly, real Nobel laureates hand out the prizes to their unfortunate colleagues whose research is being laughed at in this
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/10/17 8:11 PM
  • Number: 2143224
"No place in MI is more than 86 miles from one of the Great Lakes, or six miles from a river or lake. "

I was thinking more in terms of the southwest.

V.
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z