Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By TMFTortoise

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 2/19/18 11:00 AM
  • Number: 10261
  • Recommendations: 1
One area where machine vision is superior to human vision is that the computer never gets tired. This is what Cognex capitalizes upon. They design their systems to look for one thing and one thing only (but that one thing can be any of a vast
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/17/18 8:41 PM
  • Number: 14122
  • Recommendations: 0
Summarizing, the potential profit is higher in the OTM scenarios making them more attractive, but even the ITM option is profitable assuming all things equal.

Hi Vothy,

I'd state it this way:

Using an ITM call,
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/17/18 8:55 AM
  • Number: 33477
  • Recommendations: 2
I'd add Netflix to your mix of possibilities.

Cheers,
Jim
  • Date: 2/17/18 8:53 AM
  • Number: 14119
Hi Vothy,

I was talking about the shares plus the intrinsic value of the call only, not the time value of the call. That time value is $2.25, which is the profit you calculated.

Buy shares: ($38.50)
Sell call: $ 3.25

(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/16/18 3:10 PM
  • Number: 21883
Hi Brian,

What you're probably remembering is the Duck and Cover which we ran on Netflix a couple of years ago after a negative response to a quarterly earnings release. It's a synthetic covered call with a fancy name.
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/15/18 7:29 PM
  • Number: 33412
  • Recommendations: 8
Last in the thread gets the reply...

Hi everyone,

You've done a fairly good job on keeping the personal commentary out of this, but it's slipped just a little bit here and there. I don't want to stop this conversation,
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/15/18 4:22 PM
  • Number: 36
  • Recommendations: 1
Hi Doug,

I replicated your GE item. 275 shares short at $14.75 with a $4.95 commission. The scorecard entry now shows -$14.84 as the buy price, -275 shares. Hmm, that buy price should be -$14.75. With $14.84 being the closing price (I
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/15/18 2:36 PM
  • Number: 34
Hi Doug,

After clicking the Add a Position button, in the popup window, you need to choose "Short" as the transaction type. That should cause the position to show correctly in the scorecard.

Cheers,
Jim
  • Date: 2/15/18 2:06 PM
  • Number: 323
I think Iíll just let it ride. It isnít a big investment

Hi Mcornett,

Probably the best decision. Some of the best investors around (Buffett and Munger, for certain, but also Gaynor at Markel, and others) actively practice
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/15/18 2:00 PM
  • Number: 1090
  • Recommendations: 7
Wouldn't this be sending mixed messages? Got news of a dividend cut today, so wondering if you all owners knew about this coming?

Hi dlbuffy,

That's not a dividend cut. Remember, the shares split 2-for-1 on
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z