The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: Bad Credit Date:  5/20/1997  9:46 AM
Author:  crazyfred Number:  22 of 312185

On Thu, 08 May 97 01:02:45 -0600, FoolInRussia wrote:
<<Recently, I found out that I have bad credit. The problem occured when I was out of the country and my mail forwarding ended. A Discover bill was not forwarded and sat in my mail box for 3 months. When I arrived home, I had numerous phone messages from Discover and several letters from Discover. I called them immediately. I explained that I was out of the country and that I would pay in full immediately. That was one year ago. Recently, I applied for a credit card and was rejected due to bad credit.

When I got hold of a copy of the credit report, it said that I had been 120 days overdue on this Discover card.

Any suggestions on if and how I can fix this bad credit?

Fool In Russia


Only the creditor can remove the late bill from your records. The first step would be to talk with the credit card company.

If that is not sucessful, I believe that the credit bureaus will allow you to insert a short explanation for any note in the report. I don't have their phone numbers, but all three credit reporting firms have web pages, and their phone numbers are published fairly frequently in such magazines as Money and Kiplingers.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us